1936 Studebaker President Businessman Coupe

36-8BizCoupe

I've just bought a 1936 Studebaker President Coupe which sat still in a barn since 1982 & wasn't driven anymore since.

Now I want to refurbish this Coupe, as a first step I need to replace all Locks because none of the original car-keys are available anymore.

Does anyone know where I could find original Studebaker Locks such as: Ignition-Start-Lock w. Keys for the Dash, Main-Door-Lock on Passenger's Site w. Keys & finally the Lock for the Trunk which consists of

an massive Trunk-T-Handle which probably is impossible to find. Also the Glove-Box used a Lock w. Key which is locked without Key, however there most probably there is no other way than to drill out the cylinder.

Any Suggestions from experienced Forum-Members most wellcome.

best regards / Chris

A very rare car as I'm sure you know.

Post some pictures which will generate activity on your thread.  I'm sure the President coupe shared parts with other body styles and potentially other makes.   The Stude guys will know.

Thank you for your answers, I will definitely dismantle the locks in question & thereupon I will search for a Locksmith which could detect the key-type or shape from the Lock-Cylinders.

Hopefully this could work out. In the meantime I have cut out the old cardboard-glove-box which permitted access to that Lock & even the Round-Plate right underneath the Lock

which represents the President-Logo, usually these were replaced an Car-Clock on DeLuxe models.

Now another question is "How can I dismantle the Inside Door-Handle & Window-Crank-Lever in order to get access to that Passenger's Side Main & Only Door-Lock"?

I guess 1st. step is to dismantle the interior-Cloth-Door-Panel but when I push the chrom-rings of these handles there are no screws or clamps to access.

Anyway will study these hurdles further so as to become access to that Main-Door-Lock without breaking anything.

best regards / Chris

2022-03-12-11h35m46.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the interior door and window handles the ring closest to the fabric has a spring behind it. Press it in and you should see a pin through a hole in the handle. Remove the pin and the interior handle should come off.

I have a 37 President and had the same lock issue.   A friend was able to make keys to fit all the locks.   I am sure you can find someone who can still make the keys if you send them the locks.

• 4 months later...

Proceed slowly.  Probably no need to drill out a cylinder.  Probably only two different keys for all the locks on the car.  Sometimes it is ridiculously simple to remove a lock cylinder.  On the trunk lock look for a little pin on the body of the handle.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:15 AM, KURTRUK said:

Proceed slowly.  Probably no need to drill out a cylinder.  Probably only two different keys for all the locks on the car.  Sometimes it is ridiculously simple to remove a lock cylinder.  On the trunk lock look for a little pin on the body of the handle.

If I recall correctly you drill a hole to expose the pin.  I don't remember where I got the measurements but I remember drilling.