Mercer at Murchio's motor car museum, Greenwood Lake, NY

Walt G

The plate on the trailer is from 1951, the plate on the Mercer raceabout is from 1933. SO that tells us the car last ran and was licensed on the road  in 1933 . Joe Murchio's car museum was in Greenwood Lake , N.Y.    Is there anyone who lives near there currently that can go see if the building the museum was in sill stands? Anyone have a brochure from the museum to share here?

I do know that the Mercer was "restored" by the museum , does the car still exist?  if so who owns it and can we see a photo of it now?

Note the front wheel was missing when the car was picked up in 1951.

MercerMURCHIO1951.jpg

MercerMURCHIO2.jpg

• Like 6

I do not have an address, only know what is in the photos and what little was written on the back of the photos , no address. Had to be on a main road. Most likely a commercial building to have the room to house cars.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

1954, 1957, 1961, and 1968 club rosters have 1920 Mercer serial 16890 engine 6267 owned by Murchios.  Grace Brigham's serial number book puts 16890 early in 1922.  Here's a picture of Murchio on the 1955 Glidden, held in Canada - matches Bob's color snapshot of the Oexle car in blue & white.  It looks like the fender mirrors were on the car as Murchio found it.

1955-19-4_AA_1920_Murchio.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jrbartlett said:

Where is the Bill Oexle Mercer today?

It was sold to Rick Caroll in Florida for $25,000, Big Money at the time. Rick sold it a few years later. Then it "suffered" a fire that the insurance covered at the time. I think it may be in New Jersey in a noted restoration shop. 

I live a half hour from Greenwood Lake, NY, and I don't think that museum is there anymore. The setting looks familiar, but if there was a car museum in that town, I would probably know about it. 

I am sure the museum was disbanded decades ago, BUT do the buildings still survive? can they be recognized and perhaps a photo of them taken? I do not know the address, assume it has to be on a fairly main road.

• 1 month later...

I like sleuthing. It apparently was on Jersey Avenue. I think #635 could be the site (on right looking south) but the current building is clad in stone so not sure. Not too many locations there along the lake fit the photo with the road winding to the left in the distance. I found this in an ancient copy of the Greenwood Lake News online....

image.jpeg.373687386d469badf2d96cba00e4b594.jpeg