1952 Buick Fuel Gauge (model 48)

Benny1982

Hey mates ,

My dad bought a 1956 Buick , changed to 12 v

we try to get the fuel gauge working ,

current situation ,

if he switch on the key , the gauge went from empty bottom - to 1/4 , ( no difference between full tank or empty tank )

if he disconnected the wire from fuel sensor ( trunk ) , the gauge jump to empty bottom ( but it have to go full or ? )

and if we connecting a new short testing cable between gauge and ground , it is jumping to 1/4 again 

thanks for reading , 

Greats from Germany 

Edited by JohnD1956
Original title cited an incorrect year for the car involved (see edit history)

Well, those are very odd indications.  If the gauge works, disconnecting at the trunk should make the gauge go to full and even beyond.  If a direct short, the gauge should read empty.  Judging by your indications, it seems the wires to the gauge are either backwards or shorted.  I don't even know if you can wire them backwards cuz i'm not that familiar with the gauge but, those indications are odd.  Grounded out (zero resistance) should give you an empty tank and an open circuit (max resistance) should give you a full tank.  Your gauge may be off in that 1/4 tank is the zero or empty reading.

12-Volt, as Doug noted, is correct.

Buick went to 12-Volt in 1953 on all models other than the Special which changed to 12-Volt in 1954.

2 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

And, your 56 Buick was 12v from the factory so stock replacement parts, if needed, (assuming they are even available) will work.

11 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

Judging by your indications, it seems the wires to the gauge are either backwards or shorted

I believe, and I could be wrong, that if your sender unit has the float on the wrong side then this will cause the guage to read backwards.

10 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

I believe, and I could be wrong, that if your sender unit has the float on the wrong side then this will cause the guage to read backwards.

I don't see how that's possible.  The float can't really go on the wrong side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:10 PM, Marty Roth said:

12-Volt, as Doug noted, is correct.

Buick went to 12-Volt in 1953 on all models other than the Special which changed to 12-Volt in 1954.

That’s good to know. As I hunt for parts in the junkyard it will be easier to decide which ones to choose. I assumed that all GM went to 12 volts in 1955.

• JohnD1956 changed the title to 1952 Buick Fuel Gauge (model 48)