Sharing a Buick drive article.....

roadmaster_56

Having read the article when it first appeared, I was somewhat disappointed by the lopsided comparison.

Surely a true 1949 model, and probably a Century, would have been more in keeping with the essence of the article,

and definitely a better performer, considering the topography of the California coast.

Other than that, any article featuring our Buicks is a positive thing!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

I was somewhat disappointed by the lopsided comparison.

I thought they were fair to both cars, although I have never driven either.  Ultimately the article says each car brings a different flavor to the hobby, and both are good for what flavor they do bring.  It really does not favor one car over the other. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Seems to me that this picture illustrates the impetus for the comparison.  Shave 1600 pounds off the Buick, squint your eyes and it's hard to tell them apart...  ;)

1946 Buick Special and 1970 Porsche 911 sunset

EmTee, you're right,

and using a Torpedo body style,

maybe driving a Century instead of a Special?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I thought they were fair to both cars, although I have never driven either.  Ultimately the article says each car brings a different flavor to the hobby, and both are good for what flavor they do bring.  It really does not favor one car over the other. 

Thanks, and yes, it was fair and not favoring-

I just thought a Century would have been a more interesting comparison 

3 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

I just thought a Century would have been a more interesting comparison 

Was there a 49 Century? I thought the Century was not in production from 42-53?  And if so, to use a 320 cu in,  they would have had to compare to a 49 Roadmaster

1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

Was there a 49 Century? I thought the Century was not in production from 42-53?  And if so, to use a 320 cu in,  they would have had to compare to a 49 Roadmaster

Please reset my wakeup call for 1949,

with a 320 Roadmaster Torpedo,

for that "Big Buick" feel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The title of the article and the first two paragraphs make it clear that the comparison isn't between two cars. Instead, the comparison is between the two driving styles and experiences one gets by driving each car in the manner its designers intended, and within its capabilities. The fact that a Buick is featured makes it particularly interesting to me, but the choice of vehicles is largely irrelevant to the essence of the article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1