The most desirable Olds Built: 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 Convertible

I'm assuming there is going to be some history and paperwork with this.  There are a couple of Polaroids from the 70s showing the W30 badging.

Otherwise was there ever a better Olds than this?    And it is a stick or I wouldn't have posted it.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl22/fort-lauderdale/lots/r0119-1970-oldsmobile-442-w-30-convertible/1222887

image.png.06f42ae6bfb8650139cee6df711dd4cb.png

image.png.778838b4df3f7a5ff18b6246214306f8.png

image.png.b31899333a6220132a5c63f006018abb.png

• Like 7

I've always liked the 68-72 GM A-bodies. My first car was a 68 LeMans convertible and had a 72 Cutlass for a while, but a hardtop and not a W-30. One thing about all of the cars from this era, it was after they started salting the roads and before the makers started paying any attention to corrosion resistance. I lived in the Midwest at the time, they used to say that on a quiet night you could hear the cars rust.

The 1970 model brings more money than the 71-2 cars. I like both. Had a 1970 Cutlass SX 455 automatic convertible and just sold my 1972 442 convertible last September. I didn't have the funds, talent or patience to restore it.

Al, what do you think this blue 70 will bring?

carsept17 013.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Very nice car. I no longer know the value of post war cars judging by the last couple of auctions, but I would not be surprised to see this one easily hit $150k.

Estimate is up at 240-290K.

I believe they sold a similar car at Hershey a few years ago for similar insane money.

• Like 1

Some people will pay dearly simply to have “the best”

I have decided that in my budget I might set my sights on having the best chevette. Let all the other hard core chevette owners say “yep, no one has as cool of a chevette as John”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Great color!

Chalk mark on radiator shroud is aftermarket and I think it has winter grade washer fluid, not unicorn tears as the judging guides call for.  Other than that a very nice car that could only behefit from a set of Cragar SS rims and radial T/A tires.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, alsancle said:

image.png.06f42ae6bfb8650139cee6df711dd4cb.png

I've probably never seen another late 60's/early '70's muscle car as pretty and classy as this. By 1970, so many muscle cars were too visually over the top. Aside from the large footprint of the hood scoops and corresponding stripes, this striking car is kind of understated. I think the beautiful color has a lot to do with it. All of those Plum Crazy or bright orange colors and excessive graphics from that era made otherwise attractive cars kind of hard to look at (in my opinion.)

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

I've probably never seen another late 60's/early '70's muscle car as pretty and classy as this. By 1970, so many muscle cars were too visually over the top. Aside from the large footprint of the hood scoops and corresponding stripes, this striking car is kind of understated. I think the beautiful color has a lot to do with it. All of those Plum Crazy or bright orange colors and excessive graphics from that era made otherwise attractive cars kind of hard to look at (in my opinion.)

White on blue is a great color combo.   I typically prefer black tops, but with blue the white works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I was sold a 1972 442 W-2 convertible with a 455 engine,

only to find that the seller included a 2-door hardtop parts car, and that the only delivered title was for the parts car.

Obviously, I backed out of the deal and had the seller retrieve both cars.

Wish they had a good title for the convertible, but I wasn't going to get caught up in the potential mess.

It looks like a nice example, but it's definitely not

the most desirable Oldsmobile to me.  Not even in 

the top 20.  To me, even a regular Cutlass Supreme

2-door hardtop looks better.  Then there are the

Toronados, and many, many others.  Some of my

preferences can be had for less than 1/10 the price of this.

Isn't it great, as a car hobbyist, to have 100 years of

automotive history from which to choose?  There's

something for everyone.

• Thanks 1