1926 IH 1 1/4 ton chassis S26 with Lycoming 6 cylinder

RickV

We are restoring a 1926 General Manufacturing Fire Engine built on a 1925 IH 1 1/4 ton chassis. The 6 cylinder Lycoming engine was not in running condition but freely turned over. Twelve quarts of very heavy and dark oil was drained from the oil pan and what we need to know is what is the correct amount and weight of the engine oil? Thank you for any information you might have.

RickV

CDA5F4B3-8987-4C4B-A28B-246267497645.jpeg

3785283F-CE2C-44E5-BFD9-BB73885A26F4.jpeg

Gardner used this engine in 1926 and the owners manual lists 6 quarts. Lycoming list about 6 quarts.  As for the weight I use Valvoline 50w racing oil in my Lycoming eight.  This oil was recommended by a renowned restorer.  You'll find an 8 page pamphlet from Lycoming on the Series S engine at: http://gardnermotorcars.com/engines.html

PM me if you think the Gardner manual would be of help and I'll format a pdf. 

You will get a lot more answers if you post this in the Restoration sub forum or the General forum. This one is for questions regarding how the forum operates, what is acceptable in the way of comments and computer problems...NOT car-related questions.

• 1 month later...

Hello from sweden we also have a old IH firetruck from 1926 in our firetruck museum that is located in sweden. It has a Lycoming engine 4SL, and the timing gear is broken, and we cant find any replacement for it,  we have been looking in almost 2 years now, does anyone here know where i can find one? best regrards /fredrik from sweden

You would be better advised to start another thread on this...it will receive fairly limited viewing as part of someone else's thread. If you do so, there is a good chance someone here will either have one or know where you can get one. Try the "Part Wanted" sub forum.

That said...it's just a gear. I would remove it and measure it. The size of the gear teeth will give you the DP (Diametrical Pitch) and that should determine the overall dimensions. There are gauges for this but I'm not certain how readily available they are in Sweden. With the DP you can calculate the other dimensions. You probably should enlist the services of a machinist who understands gearing as it will not conform to the metric system. It is almost certainly a helical gear so the angle of the teeth is important but, with an engine this late, I suspect that information can be readily found. It is very likely that all IH helical gears used the same angle.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)