PB Rear Spring Shackles

Canadian PB Kid

Hello, While I was disassembling and reassembling my rear spring shackles to ensure everything is good I've noticed that the left one is 3" center to center and the right one is 3-3/8" center to center. I checked the parts book and for my PB, for the rear shackles it list part # 391619 for a quantity of 2 which leads me to believe that at least one of my shackles have been replaced.

Would anyone know what size shackles should be on a PB, 3" or 3 3/8"....or maybe even something else?  

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated,

TIA

Dave

Interesting.

I was under the impression that the first use of the “Silent U” spring shackles was in 1933. I am surprised to see them on a 1932 PB.

Unfortunately I can’t help on saying which length is correct though.

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

Interesting.

I was under the impression that the first use of the “Silent U” spring shackles was in 1933. I am surprised to see them on a 1932 PB.

Unfortunately I can’t help on saying which length is correct though.

In reading the parts book (sect 17-D) it says "PB all US built and after 93093257 Canadian built (which mine is) uses PN# 391619.... also above that it list's PB's with inner and outer shackles which are the ones that I suspect you're referring to. Next in the listing is for the PC and PD..... would you know what length is used on them?

TAI

Dave

my 31 plymouth PA had one shackle longer but on the rear of the front spring.PA cars used the trion style shackle PB do  use silent U. i never could figure out why the different size thought maybe to compensate for front steering snubber on front of drivers side spring.or just a mistake. you having simmular issue does make me wonder. I went with the shorter size.  my rear spring shackles are 3 1/2 on center.

• 1 month later...

Better late than never, but my PB rear spring rear shackles (like the ones pictured) are 3.000" c-t-c.

Front spring rear shackles (like pictured) are 2.750" c-t-c.

I can't vouch if they're exactly like OE items, since I wasn't around when PB's were manufactured or sold new.

OTOH, I've replaced all suspension bits twice, once when initially rebuilding the chassis over 30 years ago and again, maybe +/-10 years ago.

On both occasions I used all NOS/NORS(?) pieces* I bought at Hershey from Andy B. 30+ years ago. 

* Two complete sets of everything.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Canadian PB Kid said:

I went with the 3" C-T-C, 

Thanks for the input! 

Thank you !
This thread and my own comments made me realize it was time to replenish my own stock of spare shackles for my PB.

While the current shackles (second set in 30+ years) are still fine and likely will be so for a few more miles/years, but being that I drive my PB 3K - 5K miles annually and expecting a need to replace them at least once in the future, I bought couple of NOS sets.

OEM (MoPar) packaging for 3” C-T-C indicates various makes/models for ‘36 and later, but being my chassis & suspension are slightly modified and this size has proven to work on it, that’s what bought now also.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)