Inside Door handles

johns29

Can anyone tell me the trick to remove the inside door handle/window crank? someone said there is a pin in the handle you have to depress with a dental pick to release the handle.  Well, I have used all kinds of picks and I cannot find the pin. And does not have the U-shaped clip as a lot of cars had.  Thanks

Edited by johns29
Spelling (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, johns29 said:

Can anyone tell me the trick to remove the inside door handle/widow crank? someone said there is a pin in the handle you have to depress with a dental pick to release the handle.  Well, I have used all kinds of picks and I cannot find the pin. And does not have the U-shaped clip as a lot of cars had.  Thanks

What vehicle? If you can press the handle escutcheon into the upholstery panel, you may see a pin in the shaft of the handle.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, keiser31 said:

What vehicle? If you can press the handle escutcheon into the upholstery panel, you may see a pin in the shaft of the handle.

The escutcheon will not press is at all. It actually threads into the door handle mechanism and it will move a little but not enough to get to any type of pin if one is there. There is a sort of a slot/groove there but it doesn't look like it goes all the way around. So there is no u-shaped clip there. There is a small rectangle shaped cutout in the escutcheon I guess for access but I see no pin in  there. I have spent a lot of time trying to get it and it's driving me nuts. Eventually I will need to take them all off including window and opera window cranks. I have many years experience working on cars and machine maintenance so I'm not a novice. Any suggestions anyone??.

Edited by johns29
Spelling (see edit history)

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Forgot to say...1929 Buick Model 27   116 Series   4 door suicide rear doors...

21 minutes ago, 31nash880 said:

May be helpful to you to post in buick forum.

Not sure about buick but my 31 nash handle escutcheons screw on. Mine were already broken but have been warned that they are made of fragile pot metal.

Yes, they are pot metal and chances are they expanded and are locked in place.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 31nash880 said:

May be helpful to you to post in buick forum.

Not sure about buick but my 31 nash handle escutcheons screw on. Mine were already broken but have been warned that they are made of fragile pot metal.

Sorry, I am new in here and I guess I flubbed on my post...

44 minutes ago, Oldtech said:

You have to unscrew the escutcheon. There is no pin. The handle is held on by the escutcheon 

Thank you! I wondered about that but I was a little worried about doing that for fear that I might break the escutcheon or the handle, knowing it was made of pot metal... I will have to try that tomorrow.