Wire Wheels for '54 Super HT?

Wheel Viniques of Fresno CA wants $1800+ for a repro chrome set,and $2200 for a set with stainless steel spokes. Is stainless worth the difference in price, and are there alternatives I should consider? Thank you

The stainless is worth the investment. Notice how good the stainless looks on the old Buicks compared to most of the chrome. These are 40-spoke wheels. Cragar makes a 39-spoke wheel which also looks nice with Buick caps of course.<BR> cool.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have a 1955 Roadmaster with a set of original Kelsey Hayes Wires that have been rebuilt by Dayton Wire Wheel.<P>It seems that each year the spokes loosen up and I have to take them in to be tightened and trued.<P>I have not received a logical explination from the many people I have spoken with about this problem.<P>Everybody seems to agree that wire wheels need maintenance. I have heard that the original design was not properly engineered to carry the weight of the heavy vehicles, and that is the reason that they only offered them in 53-55, and then discontinued them.<P>I would like to hear from anybody that has bought the Viniques wheels, as to how long they had them, and if they have to continualy<BR>tune them up, or are they any better than the<BR>Kelsey Hayes.<P>I'm getting tired of having to bring them in all the time.<P>Another factor with the "newer" ones, is judging. If this is important to you, how does the BCA Judges view these? I have judged and seen where a fellow bought a set of 5 of these, and lost points, because they were not originaly offered on the model that he had them on. I think it was a '54 Special Wagon.<P>They are proper on '53 & '54 Skylarks, 1954 all series EXCEPT 40, and good on ALL 1955 series.<P>What I'm curious about is if you but them on a car where they belong, are they considered aftermarket or wrong in the Judges eyes.<P>I heard the main difference between the chrome and stainless, is that MAYBE the stainless would not rust, and definetly not chip.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C