Adding clear coat to rustoleum

Ok paint guys, this ones got you. I painted my frame with rustoleum. The part of the front frame and all of the bumper will be exposed when truck is done. I’d like to clear coat them to provide uv protection. I’ve searched and see it both yes and no. It’s been over a year since I painted the frame and bumper. I did add hardener to the paint. The big question is what clear should I use. Thanks Mike 

Would there be adhesion concerns with the frame base color being a year old?  I would feel like I needed to sand, spray base again, and clear shortly after. My paint knowledge is far from professional and I am hoping for people to tell me I am wrong, I bet Mike is hoping the same. 

I restored a Soviet army truck years ago and did the frame in semi gloss rustoleum. I had the truck for 7-8 years after the restoration and I never saw any fading. I did a lot of parts (bumpers, levers, seat frames, etc... I recall also) in the same spray bomb rustoleum and it looked just as good as when I originally painted it 7 years later (minus some scratches from use). Maybe my experience will give you some piece of mind, I know I stressed about it when doing it! The truck was stored in a garage but used on a lot of sunny days. Maybe gloss paint reacts to the sun differently?

PS I've enjoyed your restoration, keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Rust-Oleum does not react well with clear, even their own tends to make it wrinkle. If you do have to clear it you need to wait several months to spray Rusto over Rusto. I can't say how it will stand up to road use but I use it a lot in my scale modeling. 

I shot Rustoleum 2X self priming clear over the top of Duplicolor metalic green rattle can touchup and it blended into the surrounding factory color and clear better than the duplicolor clear. Only been a year so I can't say how well it handles UV, but it still looks good.

For convenience I’ve used rustoleum a lot in my restorations. Not for main stuff like fenders and bodies, but small trim stuff and frames and the like. Mostly black or cream colors. It has stood up long and very well for years and years.

As to using clear coat on it, I have had problems with it peeling off if I wait a day or more to apply it. It seems to stay on and stay put nicely, however, if you apply it within an hour or so of the base color paint, just when it’s drying. In those immediately applied cases, the clear has stayed on. But using the same coats of rustoleum in “gloss” looks the same and less hassle. Most rustoleum colors come in many flat, satin, semi, and glass types. Go online to see the wide set of choices.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Thanks 1