Front Wheel Bearings

NZ Buick

Hi all,

I’m searching for some replacement front wheel bearings for my 1919 project. I have a feeling the axle I have is out of a later car as it appears to have bigger and shorter stub axles compared to other 1919s I’ve seen. Has anyone got any ideas where I may be able to source them from?

0835C2D8-9104-4283-A1D1-AB7AB4FF6C10.jpeg

50 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

There are numbers usually marked on the bearings... can you see any numbers.... (you may need to clean them, to see....)

I cannot locate any numbers or markings or anything on these bearings unfortunately

25+ years ago all four corners of my 1923 Model 45 were growling when I bought my car. 

The rears are easy and still available.  It’s a very common bearing still used widely today. Don’t buy it from an antique bearing outfit.  Every good bearing house has them on the shelf at 1/3 the cost.   Get the sealed version.  Heck, Amazon even carries them. 

On my fronts, just the balls were spalled.  The inner cones and out races were hard as heck and still perfect.  

I ordered new precision ball bearings from McMaster Carr and carefully pried open the cages which are worn to a razor sharpness (be careful) and replaced the balls for just a few dollars.  That was 40,000+ miles and several inspection an re-packs since.  Still look like new. 

Hoping your inner and outer races look as good as mine when you inspect them. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately I’m not so lucky! I’m missing one outer cone and because the hub has been off the stub axle so long one inner cone has surface rusted enough to pit where the balls need to run. I’ve been to our local hearing supplier and have hopefully found some tapered roller bearings with correct IDs and smaller ODs so I can hopefully sleeve the hubs and make them all fit. Just waiting to hear back if they’re available or not.. fingers crossed they are!!

On my 1915 Buick the front bearings were totally shot. I found modern tapered roller bearings that fit the axle and then machined flanges to press into the hubs for the cups to fit into. While I was at it, I also fit modern seals keeping the axle on the car original and making the outer part of the flange I pressed in the hub fit the new seal. Nothing in the hubs was done that could not be undone. Dandy Dave.   

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1