1914 Chandler- Water leak

29 Chandler

Unfortunately I found a bad leak in the rear water manifold that feeds cooled water to the rear three cylinders. The manifold is pressed steel with a cast iron tube welded in the front to receive water from the front manifold. Inside the whole unit is lined with copper sheet that was supposed to protect the outer housing from rusting. The outside of the manifold is nickel plated and is very prominent on the engine. Over time water has worked its way in between the the copper and steel creating a hidden area of rust. It is from this area where the coolant is now leaking through. After 100 plus years I think its time to either do a proper repair or replacement of this part. Any suggestions?

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9865.jpeg

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

Steel, copper, and water. You have formed a battery. Electrolytic galvanic action and time is your enemy. I think I would opt to have one cast in Bronze and then nickeled eliminating the steel altogether. Dandy Dave.   

• Like 4

I agree with Dave,

A bronze casting would be fairly simple and cheap. You can use your original for the pattern. Simply clean it up, remove the iron pipe and fill and fair in the pipe hole, bolt holes, pits and dimples with body filler. The casting would need to be thicker than the steel. I would build it up all over on the inside so your total thickness is minimum 1/8". (Any irregularities would not be visible) Add an extra 1/8" thickness to the flange to allow material removal for machining. Due to shrinkage (I usually use .18"/ft but it varies with the alloy so you will need to talk to your foundry person) the cover will be slightly smaller. However you could build out the flange a bit to compensate using thin wood strips etc. The Iron pipe could be replaced by brass or bronze and silver soldered. Other than a sightly thicker flange no one would be able to tell the difference and it would last a long, long, time.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update

So last week I brought the part of to my friend who said clean it up and pull out the copper liner, I'll weld it up for you. Well after getting the part sandblasted I dropped it off at his house for the week. He's a master at welding and fabrication so I knew it was in good hands. Plan A was to weld it up and reinforce the flange and get it nickeled again. The back half of the manifold worked out, but the front half where there were some prior repairs not so much. Plan B, remake the whole part out of 12ga rolled steel stock that he just happened to have in the garage. It turned out wonderful! I have a tour next weekend so the plan is to rattle can it now and then mount it on the block for the tour. Then I can take more time and clean up and get it nickeled.

IMG_9894.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg

• Like 6

On 3/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, erichill said:

Mine need to be replaced to on my 1919 Chandler. Copper.

IMG_3409.JPG

Eric I know a guy! Another option would be to take my set and have them cast in bronze.

BTW does that engine also have three silent chains on the front like my 1914 does? If so did you have to replace them?

17 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Update

So last week I brought the part of to my friend who said clean it up and pull out the copper liner, I'll weld it up for you. Well after getting the part sandblasted I dropped it off at his house for the week. He's a master at welding and fabrication so I knew it was in good hands. Plan A was to weld it up and reinforce the flange and get it nickeled again. The back half of the manifold worked out, but the front half where there were some prior repairs not so much. Plan B, remake the whole part out of 12ga rolled steel stock that he just happened to have in the garage. It turned out wonderful! I have a tour next weekend so the plan is to rattle can it now and then mount it on the block for the tour. Then I can take more time and clean up and get it nickeled.

IMG_9894.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg

Should outlast you. Nice job. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

29 Chandler

Yes mine has the three timing chains. I have not had to. When i inherited the car (in pieces of course) it came with a new set. I have not pulled out the new set to measure to see if they are indeed for the Chandler. Are you needing new chains?

On 3/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, erichill said:

29 Chandler

Yes mine has the three timing chains. I have not had to. When i inherited the car (in pieces of course) it came with a new set. I have not pulled out the new set to measure to see if they are indeed for the Chandler. Are you needing new chains?

The chains on my car are original and loose. No issues so far but it is on my todo list.

• Like 1