1974 lotus Elite - $5,195 (Vancouver WA) not mine

1974 lotus Elite - $5,195 (Vancouver)

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1974-lotus-elite/7454316758.html

1974 lotus elite 4 cylinder 5 speed 2+2 sports car. Runs and drives. Very low miles been in our family since the late 70’s. This car is a project that needs work and would need to be towed home due to very poor brakes.

email   20c26bd4617b33cf91ff156d59fe0d08@sale.craigslist.org

00U0U_h1kDwAWm14Kz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg01414_i38q87em6I1z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00G0G_13ocPdUBhxvz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg01717_Bmb54QCOkXz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Any Lotus from this era tends to be a project. They really were quite advanced cars , but many typical Lotus " higher than normal " maintenance items.

So they are likely to need a very hands on owner. Or one with deep pockets if you are buying in expertise.

Great cars for the right person. Not a very valuable car as Lotus vehicles tend to go, but I am sure they will have their day in the sun in the near future.

Anything older , and most of the newer Lotus cars are already a lot more valuable than this generation { Elite and its close cousin the Eclat }.

I have my hands full with an Earlier generation Europa. A much simpler car overall.

This one looks like a very good starting point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the education, 1912Staver. Lotus is one of the brands I dream about owning, but likely never will, part of the reason being I'm 6'-3"+ tall and 63 years old, so getting in and out would be less than fun. This 2+2, however, might not be as bad as your Europa (my favorite styled Lotus of all time, BTW) with regards to egress. I love the uniqueness of this car, but some would feel differently, I'm sure. I see vague elements of the beautiful Europa in the Elite when viewed from the rear, but others probably think it looks more like an AMC Gremlin. Nevertheless, I think it's interesting. It's my understanding that Lotus outsourced the production of its engines, so I'm wondering who made this engine. Renault? Looks DOHC.

I am almost 6'2", about your age , and once actually inside the thing there is more than enough room. Getting in and out however takes a bit of practice. And never use the windshield side pillar for grip, they are quite flimsy and easily damaged. I have owned the car since my 20's so I perfected the moves decades ago. My Europa uses a Renault engine, but the later cars used the trusty Lotus Twin Cam , much like a Lotus Elan.

This Elite uses a Lotus 906 engine . The short block is Vauxhall , but everything else is Lotus. A really great engine also used in things like many Lotus Esprit's and the Jensen Healey sports car. As far as I know other than the Vauxhall bottom end the rest of the engine was produced in house at Lotus.

It's been quite a while since I drove an Elite or a Eclat but I don't remember them being particularly difficult to get in or out of.  My friends Esprit on the other hand, is much like my Europa. In fact except for the body styling, early Esprit's have a great deal in common with Europa's. Particularly the chassis engineering.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1