please ID car

broker-len

5 hours ago, keiser31 said:

1928 Chrysler in the foreground. Here is a roadster version....

1928 Chrysler 72 roadster.webp

Something odd about the side cover on the engine in the top photo - it has a one-piece side cover. The Chrysler engine has its cover in two pieces.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Something odd about the side cover on the engine in the top photo - it has a one-piece side cover. The Chrysler engine has its cover in two pieces.

With the race car in the background maybe a little extra customizing/hot rodding going on?

• Like 1

Agree. That cover sticks out like a sore thumb. It does not match the patina or color of the rest of the engine. Someone has been there. I've seen patches like this that covered a crack in a block before. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

On 3/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, alsancle said:

If someone can ID the license plate on the touring car as far as state might be able to narrow down the tracks that the car may have raced on.  In the meantime I'm going with the logic that Bill Elliott ran the 9 car, Chase Elliott runs the 9 car so working backwards this must be Bill's grandfather's car....

The car has some distinctive features such as the tube that looks to run across the center of the hood and the shroud in front of the driver that should show in period pictures.

It is Schumacher Special #9.  The photo was taken in Yonkers NY at Schumacher Motor Service sometime around 1930.   #9 was built on a Model A Duesenburg chassis and the tube you see is like a gun sight down the middle of the hood.  I have a lengthy letter from 1976 written to historian Fred Roe describing this particular car in detail from a first person account taken in the mid 1930s.

I know all this because the photo the OP used is mine that I received from the Schumacher family.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, broker-len said:

Thank you for the info       I never heard of a schumacher   is that  the car ?     do you know what motor they used     trying to market the plug wire tube         thanks for your help

Now that I'm looking at it,  #9 is not the one with the Duesenberg chassis and engine.  He must of used the gun sight on more than one Special.

The Schumacher with the  Duesenberg Model A engine in it was seen 1935 when it was on a beach in Massachusetts and described in the letter to Fred Roe.  I guess I don't know which number that one is but it is before #9, as I have pictures of 9, 10, 11,  and the sprint cars that came later.

Here are a couple more of #9.   Typically they were polished aluminum to start with and then down the road they would sometimes get painted.   Later on this car got a beetle back covering the water and gas tanks.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 439.jpg

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 558.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 3macboys said:

If someone can ID the license plate on the touring car as far as state might be able to narrow down the tracks that the car may have raced on.  In the meantime I'm going with the logic that Bill Elliott ran the 9 car, Chase Elliott runs the 9 car so working backwards this must be Bill's grandfather's car....

The car has some distinctive features such as the tube that looks to run across the center of the hood and the shroud in front of the driver that should show in period pictures.

The spark plug tube  is Chrysler.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

What year and model is this Chrysler Roadster? If it wasn't for the guy in the photo I wouldn't be here to help ID the Schumacker #11 years ago when it was discovered. 

Bob 

DSCF9484.JPG

Possibly a 1926 Chrysler G70.

1926 Chrysler 1.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, viv w said:

Yes, my 1926 Chrysler G70 had optional Buffalo type HC4 wire wheels, still looking for an extra wheel with 72 spokes.

Dental drive like the ones on race cars or an Auburn? 

Correction: I read Buffalo but was thinking of Dayton because of another car. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)