37 steering wheel removal

The spline is probably rusted, have you used any lubricant? I’ve always had success using a three finger pulley puller. Wedging the hooks under lip on the underside.

I agree with Alan, Kroil or WD40 soak will probably do the trick, any puller you can hook under the base of the wheel should work after a good soak.  I think the 37 probably still has a key rather than a spline.  Remove the nut and after a good overnight soak the wheel should come off.

I’ve been spraying PB Blaster. It took me 4 hours but I made my own wheel puller. It kind of resembles the puller shown in the Dodge truck shop manual, its on the wheel now and the pressure is on but no movement yet so every couple hours or so I spray more blaster so time will tell

I’d stay away from heat, old Bakelite does not fair well with high temps, it will thermoset.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, Scott Bonesteel said:

I agree with Alan, Kroil or WD40 soak will probably do the trick, any puller you can hook under the base of the wheel should work after a good soak.  I think the 37 probably still has a key rather than a spline.  Remove the nut and after a good overnight soak the wheel should come off.

Scott you are correct, by bad, it is a wedged key.

I drilled & tapped two holes & used a regular steering wheel puller. Look at pic & see my first & failed attempt. At the bottom you will see a hole with a broken tap, take it slow & will be fine.20220307_133246.jpg.7a26144f42bf05cbba6cd80a319cb016.jpgthese things were not made to come off, but how else are you supposed to send your wheel to koch's.

• Like 1

That's a great idea I wish I would of seen your post sooner but I made my own puller. I will definitely drill and tap mine when I get it back. The shaft is keyed and not splined, it didn't want to come off and when it did it popped off with a loud bang, meaning it didn't creep off the shaft like other's that I've removed.

• 1 month later...