1956 Project

KingKoser6405

Hey Everyone,

I just picked up this ‘56 from a guy who was going to make it into a gasser but ended up being too nice to cut up. I got it for a steal but don’t know much about it other than it being a ‘56, factory Raven Black, with a three speed manual and OverDrive.

All I was given by the owner was the window sticker. To be honest, I don’t come from Thunderbirds. My background is in Mustangs and Corvettes, and when we wanted to get documentation, we looked up the NCRS or got Marti Reports. My question is is there any place, tri-five Thunderbird specific, where you can get documentation for these cars? I am excited to start on this car and learn about these cars.

Thankfully the car is super complete…. It’s just in pieces. 

7ED18BDE-FDE8-4228-9559-F7FFD1164172.jpeg

FDC32D8F-F1B0-41E9-A621-2BE7459C449F.jpeg

E4AFA255-C9FB-4748-8046-853ED59F9056.jpeg

154B1FED-6F20-4297-877A-D5ADAF634BCD.jpeg

434B7EE9-5A55-4880-9636-B906171A22FC.jpeg

4C783185-8A2B-469F-BD64-C68C3B8FE49F.png

9A1ECD18-9ADE-4627-AFE9-84AF5D360FBD.jpeg

Hi King,

I agree with Neil, joining CTCT (www.ctci.org) is the way to go. At a minimum you need the 1956 Ford Shop Manual and an Owner's Handbook if one didn't come with the car. The "window sticker" is actually the factory invoice that was sent to the dealer. The window sticker as we know it came into being in the 1960's.

As for your car, the body looks in pretty good shape as long as it isn't rusted out underneath. I can tell the following:

• Your car is missing the continental kit. Your rear bumper is from a 1955 Thunderbird.
  • The front bumper is missing the bumper guards that a 1956 should have.
  • The carburetor on the engine is for a 1957 T-Bird (it looks like a Holley 4160). It should be a Holley 4000 "teapot"
  • The car should have a soft top. I can't tell whether yours does or not. 

Your car looks pretty straight and I am glad that you are not going to make it into a gasser.

Best of luck with the restoration.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

On 3/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, 1957Birdman said:

Hi King,

I agree with Neil, joining CTCT (www.ctci.org) is the way to go. At a minimum you need the 1956 Ford Shop Manual and an Owner's Handbook if one didn't come with the car. The "window sticker" is actually the factory invoice that was sent to the dealer. The window sticker as we know it came into being in the 1960's.

As for your car, the body looks in pretty good shape as long as it isn't rusted out underneath. I can tell the following:

• Your car is missing the continental kit. Your rear bumper is from a 1955 Thunderbird.
  • The front bumper is missing the bumper guards that a 1956 should have.
  • The carburetor on the engine is for a 1957 T-Bird (it looks like a Holley 4160). It should be a Holley 4000 "teapot"
  • The car should have a soft top. I can't tell whether yours does or not. 

Your car looks pretty straight and I am glad that you are not going to make it into a gasser.

Best of luck with the restoration.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

Thanks for the info! I didn’t think it was the window sticker but the guy I got it from swore it was! I’m just glad I could save the car! It doesn’t have the soft top unfortunately but the car is super solid. No rust anywhere except for some surface rust on some of the trim. The bumper guards did come with the car, and you’re correct that it has the 4160 carb. 

I am in the process of becoming a member of CTCI, so I’m hoping to get some good pointers during the resto.

You are pretty fortunate to find a car delivered to Philadelphia which is that rust free. East coast cars usually have major rust issues unless they weren't driven during the winter when the roads were salted.

Too bad the convertible top is gone. That is the way that your car was delivered from the factory, with no hardtop. The good news is that your hardtop is correct for your car and is a top made by Ford, not a replacement top.

The engine should be a 312 CID with the Holley 4000 "teapot" carburetor. Since you have the 4160 carburetor you also have the intake manifold for a 1957 T-Bird. This means that you may have an engine that was originally in a 57 T-Bird. If you can post here the casting number for your engine I can tell you if it is a 1956 or 1957 engine. If you can post a couple of pictures of the engine including the distributor, I can tell if it is a 56 or 57 setup. By the way, having a 57 engine would not be a big deal since the engine blocks are basically the same.

Best regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird