Dash

tenugent

Been discussed here at length Tim so a search will prove fuitful but basically remove the screws from the front of the dash pad which come into the dash pad from below and pull the pad toward the rear of the car. If you have Guidematic the fasteners for the dash top sensor may get hung up on the cross bar. If so, you`ll need to remove those before the dash will slide rearward.

Tom

What is interesting a gent fashioned a bar of sorts that jarred the pad loose.

I’ll see if I can get the gent to take a picture of the bar. Numerous men have contacted me asking for the combination to remove the dash pad.

A tool that jars the pad loose could be really helpful.

Turbinator

Art Vallero sent in a sketch with dimensions of the bar he used to loosen the dash pad. Art said be careful the bar clears the windshield.

221261A1-5A6F-422C-9A4F-5858C43EB39D.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, tenugent said:

Thanks Tom,do I raise the front towards me first

Maybe a little wiggling to loosen it up but there are metal projections that fit into pockets along the front of the pad which will prevent you from raising it more than a fraction of an inch.

If you have had the pad out since owning the car and havnt replaced or resealed the windshield it should come out fairly easy.

Tom

Is it easier to replace the bulbs in the cluster this way, or is it still a PITA? BTW, I tried removing my '65 dashpad several years back because one bulb in my speedo seems to be out. I am relatively certain it is WELDED in place. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze, and I didn't want to damage a perfect dash pad, so I've just lived with the burnt out bulb.

1 hour ago, jframe said:

Is it easier to replace the bulbs in the cluster this way, or is it still a PITA? BTW, I tried removing my '65 dashpad several years back because one bulb in my speedo seems to be out. I am relatively certain it is WELDED in place. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze, and I didn't want to damage a perfect dash pad, so I've just lived with the burnt out bulb.

Has your windshield been replaced at some point? It could be that the urethane adhesive got on the edge of the dash pad, gluing the pad to the windshield.

3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Has your windshield been replaced at some point? It could be that the urethane adhesive got on the edge of the dash pad, gluing the pad to the windshield.

I suppose it's possible, sometime in the past 50 years. I need to look and see if the glass is date coded, and that might give me some clues.