1927 Chevrolet Lindberg Radiator Cap

In 1927 the Chevrolet company  rewarded dealerships that met a sales quota with this trophy radiator cap. It was a replica of the Charles Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis. This was issued to Charles Blosser's Chevrolet dealership in Concordia, Kansas. (The building was at 6th St. and Lincoln. It now houses a museum and a Kansas traveler information station for the North Central area. The Blosser's name is still slightly visible at the top of the building.)  This unit is in its original complete condition. There is some separation of the casting 

at the rear (see picture #4) I'm not sure if this was an original miscasting or just age, but I have not done anything to try and restore it.

I'm listing this at $900 plus postage. Any questions or interest is welcome. Thanks for looking. 

Tag line: Car dealerships rewards, airplane hood ornament,  unique radiator caps, Chevrolet memorabilia, Lindy memorabilia. 

IMG_8097.JPG

IMG_8099.JPG

IMG_8101.JPG

IMG_8100.JPG

Turns out this trophy cap was not as rare as I had thought-

I've seen quite a few over the years.

I bought mine at Hershey around 1985 or 1986 for twenty ($20) dollars. I used it as the radiator cap on my 1927 Chevy Capitol AA Roadster - but only for a short time.

When I learned of Lindberg's support and admiration for Hitler in the early days of World War II, I sold it and replaced it with a Chevrolet version of a Boyce Motometer.

While not equating it with a Nazi Swastika, I just didn't want it on my car.

Hope you find a good home for yours - preferably in an appropriate showcase of a private collection.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)