1932 Packard Twin Six Convertible Coupe, rumble seat 62K - rebuilt engine

4 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Only $62,000? Am I the only one here or do the rest of you think FB, Ebay, BJ and the rest have made sellers go insane with what their prices are on projects, money pits, plain janes, and outright pieces of sh--?

If that was a real twin six coupe roadster it would be worth 150k as it sits.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, paulrhd29nz said:

When you say real , do you mean matching engine ? Or is this a made up body ? 

Delivered from the factory in 1932 as a Twin Six Coupe Roadster and verifiable as such.   Numbers matching is a plus but not a deal breaker.

Many eights were made in to 12s.  Many coupes were made in to coupe roadsters.

Although a real 32 Twin Six coupe would be a very desirable car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

looks can be deceiving.  

The clark gable 32 twin six sold for $1.2 million.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am16/amelia-island/lots/r174-1932-packard-twin-six-coupe-roadster/175367

Hyman had this one(made from an 8 cylinder body)  for under $400k.  

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6395-1932-packard-twin-six-coupe-roadster/

2 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

looks can be deceiving.  

The clark gable 32 twin six sold for $1.2 million.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am16/amelia-island/lots/r174-1932-packard-twin-six-coupe-roadster/175367

Hyman had this one(made from an 8 cylinder body)  for under $400k.  

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6395-1932-packard-twin-six-coupe-roadster/

Clark Gable is in the same group with Hitler,  Goering,  Jack Dempsey, Rudolph Valentino and others.   About 10 cars are attributed to their ownership for every one they actually owned.   And yes, I realize Hitler owned zero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Clark Gable is in the same group with Hitler,  Goering,  Jack Dempsey, Rudolph Valentino and others.   About 10 cars are attributed to their ownership for every one they actually owned.   And yes, I realize Hitler owned zero.

Yes, but I think that the difference between the two prices is primarily that the “Clark Gable” car is believed to be an authentic twin six and not an assembly of parts.   Maybe not. 

7 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Yes, but I think that the difference between the two prices is primarily that the “Clark Gable” car is believed to be an authentic twin six and not an assembly of parts.   Maybe not. 

Agreed.  I think it was the combination of restoration, provenance and two very wealthy guys going at with paddles.  Clark had little to do with it.

• Like 1

Curiosity, but how does one value the car in the original post. Lets say it is 'real' and a quarter million dollar car. What makes what is there worth $70k or $100k or $150K? Is it as simple as the seller saying I want 'X' amount for the car as it sits? Seems kinda hard to quantify. 

Great question Kerry. For me it’s worth no more than likely finished value minus the likely cost to get it there. 

Which is why I don’t understand the asking prices on about 99% of the project cars I see listed every day. And I’m even willing to keep my labor out of the equation!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Curiosity, but how does one value the car in the original post. Lets say it is 'real' and a quarter million dollar car. What makes what is there worth $70k or $100k or $150K? Is it as simple as the seller saying I want 'X' amount for the car as it sits? Seems kinda hard to quantify. 

Project cars never make economic sense if you can buy the same car restored.    If this was dead nuts real V12 coupe roadster with a documented history back to day one then the restored value would be 600-900k.   I believe it would easily be worth 150k as a project car and probably more. 

This would make sense as a project car because to own a no questions twin six coupe roadster is not an easy thing to accomplish, regardless of pocketbook.

Please not my liberal use of the word "real" in all my posts.

• Like 2

I am sure there are experts out there who could definitively say it was an eight or a twelve.  My guess is it was an eight, that now has a twelve engine.  Must be a great car to drive.

Are these number correct?

556 CID

160 HP

142.5 wheelbase

100 MPH top speed

What a crappy presentation for any car, whether $62,000 or $6,200.

I see these loaded trailer pictures a lot and I always think of some guy having incontinence issues while he rushes to get pictures of his "big score".

To the seller's side, I have had people tell me my price was too high. My answer is usually "Buy the other one". I have a tone of voice for saying that used to make my friend, Mike, blow coffee out of his nose when I used it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, alsancle said:

Don't forget Elvis, AJ. I think every car he passed his hand over was Elvis' Car. Many have pictures of him standing nearby to prove it.