Necropost - responding to an ancient post on the Forum

Gary_Ash

I am amazed at the number of times that necroposts appear.  That is, someone does a Forum search for a subject, finds a post that is somewhat related, and then responds - except the original post or follow-ons were 5, 10, 15, or more years ago.  May I humbly suggest a couple of options:

1.  Send a Private Message to the original poster to see if he/she is still alive and cares about the topic, still has the item available, etc.

2.  Make a new post to ask about the subject.  As always, include car make, model, year and other details.

Today's brilliant example was a reply to a Technical post titled "Paint" from 22 years ago and the recent poster asked, "What color is my car?" with some photos.

I accept that there are a few times when a response to an ancient post can be justified.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good points, Gary.

I can see the few times you mention that an update is appropriate: 

---When we're talking about a specific car (such as a Olds Limited in a specific collection);

---Or in a general thread of a rare make (such as American Underslungs, or aerodynamic Hupmobiles);

---Or a rare part or very specific process (such as how to create engine-turning effects). 

In those cases, updates can group all that good information together, and serve as a

helpful reference.

• Like 1

Gary,

You are correct about your comment about the old posts.  Strangely enough I am one of those "old/long time members" that was involved with some of the posts.  I do PM the people back, I am amazed at how old some of the posts are.

I was not aware of the term "Necropost"

A necropost is generally referred to as a reply to an old, abandoned thread that has been considered “dead” for a while. Basically, a thread that no longer serves any purpose is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it.

Learn something new every day.... Well it is better than what I thought it might be....

• Like 1

If the information is already there and still relevant there's no need to reinvent the wheel. 

It keeps information about whatever the topic it is about together and easier to find.

Many rehashed threads end up with just a link to a previous thread about the topic that was already covered. 

It could preserve the knowledge of a person who has passed away that would otherwise not be available because the person who had it is no longer here to share it again. 

Information that was documented closer to the event happening is more accurate than later memories as other bits of knowledge crowd the minds of everyone over time. This is perhaps less relevant on a classic car forum than some other forums since the majority of the cars discussed predate the forum, at least for a couple more years. 

Honestly, there is very little reason that a new thread should be started. The one place I can see the reason for a new thread is in Buy/Sell/Trade forums, or BST. Although even there it could be useful for researchers to track and create at least a digital paper trail. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

If the information is already there and still relevant there's no need to reinvent the wheel. 

It keeps information about whatever the topic it is about together and easier to find.

Many rehashed threads end up with just a link to a previous thread about the topic that was already covered. 

It could preserve the knowledge of a person who has passed away that would otherwise not be available because the person who had it is no longer here to share it again. 

Information that was documented closer to the event happening is more accurate than later memories as other bits of knowledge crowd the minds of everyone over time. This is perhaps less relevant on a classic car forum than some other forums since the majority of the cars discussed predate the forum, at least for a couple more years. 

Honestly, there is very little reason that a new thread should be started. The one place I can see the reason for a new thread is in Buy/Sell/Trade forums, or BST. Although even there it could be useful for researchers to track and create at least a digital paper trail. 

I agree 100% with everything you state.  

Forums such as this one become indispensable resource libraries over time with all the knowledge input from everyone, and it would be a shame to have an older post locked or deleted because of its age.  I've found several posters here with great recall memory, and are able to bring forth an old post pertinent to a subject someone new, or a regular new to a make of older car they've never previously owned, and don't have to repeat themselves over again. 

And in some instances, posts that were relevant 5, 10, 20 years ago becomes relevant again, or is it is more relevant today, and is a good reminder when it is brought to the front once more.

One reason I don't frequent the Studebaker forum as much as I used to is because the Nazi moderator locks older posts when someone new has done their due diligence and used the search box to find a subject and want to make an inquiry about his car by replying to that particular post.  Hardly a warm welcome for someone new to a forum.

Craig 

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A newbie on the forum posts a question. An old timer responds “use the search function !!!” 

Newbie searches and finds a 10 year old post and adds to it. Old timer responds “why are you bringing up a 10 year old post????”

Can’t do anything right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Gary... I think, I want to disagree (especially in light of the new persons perspective).  If a topic is relevant to a new member, I think that makes it a relevant topic.  We have lots of people more than willing to answer the "new" question.  If it is a simple answer, it will fade off the top ten quickly. 

1 hour ago, ia-k said:

A newbie on the forum posts a question. An old timer responds “use the search function!” 

You're right:  I have seen that here, and it's not helpful.

For example, a newcomer may ask about getting a car appraised,

and someone may answer, in essence, "Just search for previous

discussions."  Well, the topic is very important to that newcomer,

and perhaps he doesn't know what categories to search.

And he certainly wouldn't recognize which thread was especially 

full of good information.

The responder should be the one, at least, to find a helpful old thread.

Better yet, link to that old thread and then answer the newcomer's

specific questions.

Personal, friendly, helpful.  That's the AACA.

• Thanks 1

My objection to the necroposts is when the new post has little or nothing to do with the original post or the new post quite properly deserves its own new listing.  Then it's more likely that the new post will get seen and addressed in a useful way.

The search function is good for finding what has been covered before, but added comments/questions ought to be relevant to the original post, not a hijack or a non sequitur. 

I agree with the various comments above that some threads are appropriately on-going.  As Craig and Graham Man have said, the additions should be "pertinent" and "relevant".  Also, those making the dopey additions aren't going to read this thread anyway.  Rant complete.  😔

• Like 1

I see old posts commented on often by newcomers.

Some are one and done posts as they get dissed by the "not enough posts to message" rule.

Some are one and done not necessarily for that reason, but rather they have asked the question many places on the web and forgot about where.

My point is many posts are brough back by newbies that don't realize how old a thread is.

When doing a WWW google search AACA threads come up often.

Not really going anywhere with all this, but if it works don't fix it.

• Thanks 1

Posting something irrelevant to an old topic isn't the same as adding pertinent information or asking a question actually about that topic, that's more akin to spam, although it can also come from simple lack of knowledge on how forums work. Not everyone is as comfortable and knowledgeable about using computers and technology as we forum regulars are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And today's winner of the Clueless Necropost Award is Natasha MC - her first post on the Forum and to a 17-year old post!  Sounds more like a scammer than a real response.

I find myself guilty of falling for old posts.  I will start to read through and even may hit a like button here and there then realize that its months or maybe a year old. If its a newby that brings something up thats fine. But I have found sometimes here and a lot of times on a pontiac forum I go on its usually some kind of spam. There will be a one and done post steering the reader to a solicitation. 

I have started a few threads myself and do not consider myself as 'the owner' or caretaker of such and could care less if someone brings one back from the dead or if its left there forever. I dont see a need to pm anyone to bring one back. As far as Im concerned once its written down on the net its fair game.

• Like 3

I find the archival search feature, available to us, a valuable tool. It helps prevent a rehash of information. How many times, and in how many ways can the same information be relitigated in new threads. Personally I get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over again, when I know the the answer is available through an archival search. It can also be an invaluable source of historical and technical information which might otherwise have been lost or forgotten. How different this forum is from a Facebook auto forum, where everything is lost almost as soon as it posted. Maybe that's the way FB keeps people coming back for more. It's not a good idea to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

As a related but somewhat off message comment. This winter I have been enjoying rereading some of my old issues of "Collectible Automobile," going back to the first issue. I find it intriguing the way the market has changed and really the hobby has changed, since the mid 80's. Also interesting is the how some of the "new" 80's and 90's cars were being vetted for future collectability.

I really don't see much difference between reading an old posting and picking up an old magazine. The reading of either is at the readers discretion.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the thread.  I look at the forum as database and some threads make sense to go on for years.  Especially technical ones that might need updating.

Conversation threads which are really only pertinent in the moment are different.

• Like 4