noisy speedo

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

When I drive my Buick early in the morning, when it is below 60 degrees (only 2 days this week like that - so hopefully won't have to worry about it until next fall.) But My speedometer makes a "clicking" noise and a scraping sound. When it is about 70 degrees, or it is warm in the car it is quiet. I know that the cable needs oiled, but wanted to know if anyone knew the easiest way to do this. Is there any way I can "spray" some kind of oil into the calbe from the transmission? I know it would be hard to access it from inside the car. The car has set a while and I think this is what caused this. My 1971 Chevrolet Caprice did the exact same thing. Any advice appreciated.

Not one to answer but a thought if I may. From what I gather, the spedo in the dash is run on a magnet which is under retention from a spring. If it goes away when the interior is warm, would seem like it's the spring not playing nice. Just a thought...

If you have a factory cruise control, then oiling the cable should be real easy. My speedo started doing the exact same thing you describe. I have a factory cruise, so access to the cable to the tranny and to the speedo was easy. I just unscrewed them and squirted a good amount of 3-1 Household oil down. Worked like a charm, noise free ever since.

go to auto store. buy speedo cable lube in a small tube. disconnect the cable from the speedo, put some of the lube in the end. drive with speedo disconnected.<BR>stop and add more lube.<BR>drive more.<BR>reconnect speedo.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. 73Electra- I think that is the best way, is there at the cruise. Mine does have cruise. Since you mentioned it, I remember the cable there on the fender. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaffer

The noise quit since warm weather is here, except on Saturday after a 25 mile drive between 65-70 mph, it started making a "buzzing" noise again. It started after driving over 60 for about 5 minutes. I know I just need to put oil down the cable there at the cruise control, but was wondering how much I should put and what type of oil should I use? 3 in 1 oil?? WD-40?? Thanks.

I used 3-1 Household(the red and white can) when I did it. Speedo still hasn't made any noise since I did it either and its been several months now.

I have always been told to use vasaline on the spedo cables as oil could work its way up to the head and gum things up. Also, a spedo repair shop told me not to use graphite grease because it would wear the drive at the back of the spedo it it got up there. I like the suggestion of buying spedo lube at the store.

Guest Shaffer

Well, I went to the local auto parts store and they said use lithium grease. I had already put some 3-in-1 oil down it, but my dad said to wait and let the oil dry up a little, otherwise adding the lithium might "gum" up in there and mess up the cable. Everything has to be complicated.....

• 2 weeks later...

It was suggested to me about using liquid graphite (basically the door lock lube in a spray can...)) by an autoparts store (I have a similar problem on a newer vehicle)...still haven't tried it. Has anybody a comment on this type of lube (..in addition to the comment already posted ) ..I also would have thought there should be some special type of lube specifically for speedo's.<P>Thanks.<p>[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

Guest Shaffer

I put lithium grease in it, but the last time I looked, it never drained down the cable. I can disconnect at the cruise control and put the grease in there.

Guest Shaffer

The lithium grease never went down the cable. I got as much of it out as I could, and put more 3-N-1 oil in it, but it never drained down the cable either. Tonight on the highway at an extended 65-75 MPH 30 minute drive, just as 2 weeks ago, it started making a loud "buzzing", scraping noise. It only seems to make that niose when it warms the cable up, but lately, it has been making a slight "eeking" noise in town. I usually keep the radio up, so I cant hear it, but on the highway at excess speeds, it gets very annoying. I have considered just disconnecting the cable from the cruise, but don't want to mess up my mileage. Why won't the oil drain down the cable? Any thing else I can try? I am going to check tomorrow, just maybe it finally drained down the cable.<p>[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

Possibly, but the car only has 105,000 miles. The cable looks fine where it hooks to the cruise control. I don't think the cable is making the noise, but rather the speedometer itself that is making the noise. If it means repalcing the cable to stop it, I guess I will have to pass, as I know it may be difficult to disconnect from under the dash. Unless, I can just pull out the cable itself out at the cruise control and push a new one in its place, but like I said, I think it is the speedo unit making the noise. The car has 2 speedo cables. One from the transmission to the cruise, then out from the cruise to the dash. Must be gears in the cruise control. I am going to check later today and see if its run down the cable.