BAKER rims hardware WANTED

bobs1916

21 hours ago, bobs1916 said:

Hello   I   need   the   hardware to   have   2   wheels   with  Baker rims constructed.   I  have  the   hubs.  Could  used  the  bolts and   Hardware  for  the   felloe  bands  and  one metal felloe  band 25 inch   rim   size.  Thanks

IMG_9824.jpeg

IMG_9825.jpeg

How many do you need? Two on ebay tonight

Never even heard of a Baker till recently. What years were they made?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

thank  you   I   need    several  mor    but   2   is   wonderful   start  THANK  YOU   I  bought  them!  They   are    as  far  as  I  know  mid  to  late   teens    I  use  them  on  a   1918   GMC   truck

• Like 1

I  want  to  build   TWO    25  inch  Baker   wheels   I  have  the   metal  hub.  I  would also  need    the   metal   parts   on  the   wood   felloe  and  the   metal   band   . For  that  reason    I  would  be  very    interested  in  what  you  have  pictured  there.  Is  it  a   25 inch    size   ? . Is   there  a  pair?   To  answer   your   question re   numbers  There  are   6   lugs  on each   wheel as  in  your  picture.    So  I  need   12 in  total .     Thanks

FYI  I  am  trying   to   build  up  the    Chassis   of a 1918  GMC   truck.   The  front   wheels   are  later    24 in    wheels.  Certainly  very  usable  for   someone  needing   them    And  the  rears   are  correct   25 in  Baker but a lot  of   rebuilding  needed    as  they   were   buried  in   the   mud  and   rims  and   bands  and  some  hardware   rusted  away.   The   2   bolts on  Ebay   will   help me  to  get  the   rears  somewhat  sorted  out.   

bob

271742418_5060477277317899_1868774209164222304_n.jpg

That looks like an interesting project. Rims are going to hard to find unless 30Dodge can possibly line you up with all the wheel parts shown in his photo. The rear rim you show in your photo does not look too bad , is the other one in reasonably similar condition ? If so you can perhaps salvage sections of the rim and weld them together. You might be able to end with one good rim between the two.

In my experience Baker rim parts are reasonably rare. Early in the teens cars like Buick used them, but by the later teens I don't think any cars still used them. Just smaller trucks like your GMC.

45 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

That looks like an interesting project. Rims are going to hard to find unless 30Dodge can possibly line you up with all the wheel parts shown in his photo. The rear rim you show in your photo does not look too bad , is the other one in reasonably similar condition ? If so you can perhaps salvage sections of the rim and weld them together. You might be able to end with one good rim between the two.

In my experience Baker rim parts are reasonably rare. Early in the teens cars like Buick used them, but by the later teens I don't think any cars still used them. Just smaller trucks like your GMC.

Yes  the     left  rear    will  be  salvageable  .  Needs a  rim,    which  I  have,  and  some  hardware.  The    right   rear  rusted   right  through  the   felloe band  and   warped  badly  the   wood  felloe. This wheel    will  need  to  be   rebuilt  by  Callimers    .  Hope  they  can    replace  the   wood   felloe  and  band   and     save  the   rest.   I  have   a  felloe   band  for  that. The   fronts  well  that   is   problem  for  now      unless  30Dodge   can  be of  some  help  with  what  he  has   pictured.   I  can  likely  salvage  the  rusted  out   felloe   band   .   About  8   inches   are   wiped  out.   Creative   welding    should  be  able  to   make  that   usable . 

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)

I have a couple of Baker clamps. I believe Baker made them in at least two styles. Most Baker clamps I have seen also retained the bolt. So when the bolt was undone the clamp came away with it. It screwed into a nut that was fastened to the inner surface of the wood felloe. A somewhat unusual arrangement. This style is in 30Dodge's photo, and your top photo's.

But I also have a couple Baker clamps that don't have the bolt. I think they are a later style where the bolt goes through the felloe from the rear with the threaded portion toward the outside . Then the camp is slid on and a nut fastens it all together .Like most loose clamp rims out there. However my theory may be in error and the clamps I have may have simply been separated from their bolts.

P.S. , I seem to have spoken too soon. The clamp I have is a " normal " Baker clamp like the ones in the photo's above, just with the bolt missing. If you end up needing a clamp and can come up with a bolt to match your others drop me a PM. I also have a couple more complete clamps { with bolts } somewhere . But they are not currently at hand. In my big pile of misc. items out in my storage shed. 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Wow ! , that's remarkably severe , but strangely localized rusting. Just an inch or two away from the totally rusted away section the band does not even look that bad. And to make things worse it looks like the truck was parked with the valve stem exactly at the bottom of the wheel.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

18 hours ago, bobs1916 said:

I  want  to  build   TWO    25  inch  Baker   wheels   I  have  the   metal  hub.  I  would also  need    the   metal   parts   on  the   wood   felloe  and  the   metal   band   . For  that  reason    I  would  be  very    interested  in  what  you  have  pictured  there.  Is  it  a   25 inch    size   ? . Is   there  a  pair?   To  answer   your   question re   numbers  There  are   6   lugs  on each   wheel as  in  your  picture.    So  I  need   12 in  total .     Thanks

FYI  I  am  trying   to   build  up  the    Chassis   of a 1918  GMC   truck.   The  front   wheels   are  later    24 in    wheels.  Certainly  very  usable  for   someone  needing   them    And  the  rears   are  correct   25 in  Baker but a lot  of   rebuilding  needed    as  they   were   buried  in   the   mud  and   rims  and   bands  and  some  hardware   rusted  away.   The   2   bolts on  Ebay   will   help me  to  get  the   rears  somewhat  sorted  out.   

bob

271742418_5060477277317899_1868774209164222304_n.jpg

More pics if it helps. I’d have to pull both wheels from the sound of it. Let me know. 
Regards

Dave

08CBDABE-679D-4566-A1A2-219BAD4B9BBA.jpeg

99F921E7-9B3B-4CB4-8F52-589E3BC1793F.jpeg

60FCAD9A-E679-4334-A8BA-15A4F547ECF9.jpeg

16 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Wow ! , that's remarkably severe , but strangely localized rusting. Just an inch or two away from the totally rusted away section the band does not even look that bad. And to make things worse it looks like the truck was parked with the valve stem exactly at the bottom of the wheel.

Yes  it  must   have   sat    in  the  moist  ground   for  a  really   long  time.

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

More pics if it helps. I’d have to pull both wheels from the sound of it. Let me know. 
Regards

Dave

08CBDABE-679D-4566-A1A2-219BAD4B9BBA.jpeg

99F921E7-9B3B-4CB4-8F52-589E3BC1793F.jpeg

60FCAD9A-E679-4334-A8BA-15A4F547ECF9.jpeg

Dave Yes  can  you   verify   that  they  are   25 inch please.     In  that  case  I    would   want  the   wheels  as  they  sit and  actually  that  would  be  easier  for   you ,   What   would   you   need    to  get  for  them?  Where  are   you  located    I  assume  far  from  me    so  are  you  able       to   ship  them  to  me  in  CT   Thanks  

3 hours ago, bobs1916 said:

Dave Yes  can  you   verify   that  they  are   25 inch please.     In  that  case  I    would   want  the   wheels  as  they  sit and  actually  that  would  be  easier  for   you ,   What   would   you   need    to  get  for  them?  Where  are   you  located    I  assume  far  from  me    so  are  you  able       to   ship  them  to  me  in  CT   Thanks  

Will PM cost later tonight

8 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

That looks like a first class parts pile 1930Dodge ! Any other gem's ? 

A lot of the gems have disappeared since my last outing but here are a few examples of what used to be there. Not sure if he has any of these three still as I didn't have time to visit that part of the yard on my last outing since I ran out of time. It's about a 4 hour round trip for me and I wear down faster than I used to.  Still about 70 acres of misc parts scattered though. If you ever make it down this way let me know and I'll give you the location and name of the owner so you can have fun.

Dont crush me bro 3 001.JPG

Dont crush me bro 3 059.JPG

Dont crush me bro 3 076.JPG

Over the years I've spent weeks maybe months (in total time) and still haven't seen all of it, I see something new every time. Obviously more to it than the pics like old buses, campers, sheds, out buildings and semi-trailers with parts. Truly one of the last yards standing of its kind. I consider it an honor and a blessing every time I visit, and the owner clearly sees my glee with each visit. I think I enjoy looking for parts more than the research or the restoration work. 

Parts are vanishing faster and faster but that's okay because that means guys are getting the parts they need. The sad thing is it may not be there in another 10-15 years and like all the fun amusement parks of childhood, this place will eventually be gone someday too. Just trying to enjoy it while we can. 

Hi Steve,

yeah, it's hard to schedule an appointment with the owner at times but it's west of Phoenix AZ on I-10 about 1 1/2 - 2 hours off exit 81 then N/NW approx 28 miles on the north side of the road. Summer is coming quick, this time next month we'll be in the 90s so if anyone is planning on heading this way you better make it soon or may want to wait till after October.

EDIT:

Bring plenty of cash because prices have increased dramatically with inflation and as the word gets out over time. Btw, no Joe Blow bucks or Obamastamps either just so you know ;). I'm heading that way in a couple of hours to get parts for Bob and others, so my heart is starting to pound with excitement (already).

The owner's name is Steven so you guys should hit it off, very good kid. His ole man had it for years but he passed about 10 years ago so Steven and his mom are supported by what they sell. I encourage folks to visit as they need all the help they can get financially since neither can work. I've told a few guys about the place on this forum who are up in the Detroit and NE part of the country. Everyone should have the opportunity once in a lifetime to visit a place like this. I know some of the local guys get pissed when I tell people about it but Steven wants people to know cause it helps them financially so I encourage it. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)