Weepy Stocking Filter

EmTee

To protect the new radiator on my '38 Century I installed a Gano filter in the upper hose.  Additionally, based on recommendations from several forum members, I also followed that with a stocking filter to catch smaller crud that might slip through the Gano screen.

The problem I have is the stocking toe is poked into the radiator tank through the upper radiator hose connection and the open end is folded-back over the upper pipe.  The hose is slipped over the stocking/pipe and about 3/8" ~ 1/2" of stocking sticks out past the end of the hose.  Despite tightening the clamp as much as I dare, coolant is slowly wicking-out along the stocking and dribbling down the hose to the thermostat housing.  It's not a big leak, but it is a nuisance.

I'm guessing that I may have to re-do the connection to keep all of the stocking under the hose.  I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done this before...  Thanks!

image.png.d1baf94fea074114d10cf77d2a46c821.png

Don't use Plus-Size women's stockings!  (just kidding)

I've had that problem occasionally. Before slipping the hose over the stocking-ed upper neck, try to eliminate the stocking fabric's bunching up by pulling the fabric tight and folding it over itself axially. A turn of thin masking tape at the top end may help keep the rest of the fabric in place until most of the hose is fitted--then remove it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Don't use Plus-Size women's stockings!

Well, I assumed my Century was 'fuller-figured' than a Special -- but maybe the 'plus sizes' should be strictly reserved for Roadmasters and Limos!  ;)

I'll try re-doing that connection as suggested and see what happens...  Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I addressed the coolant weeping from the upper hose where I installed the stocking filter the other day.  To fix this required disassembly of the entire upper hose, including the Gano and the stocking filter, so I decided to check each one to see what had been 'caught' over the brief time that they had been in service (~2 hours and maybe 10 ~ 15 miles).

Good news is there was one small flake in the Gano and some fine 'sand-like' particles in the stocking as shown below.

image.png.958f6711c8a47196c6d00f02ba0b42

I rinsed both filters and re-installed them, but this time I was careful to try to keep the stocking from sticking out beyond the hose.  I mostly succeeded, but there is a sliver of stocking showing where the hose is closest to the radiator.  I'm hoping that if there is any weeping at that spot, it will be very minor and I'll live with it until it's time to make another filter check in about 200 miles.

Now:

image.png.44fa27db864c3d8c01c7e517434e45

Before:

image.png.206fae058db3217f136115064d6c82

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:06 PM, EmTee said:

To protect the new radiator on my '38 Century I installed a Gano filter in the upper hose.  Additionally, based on recommendations from several forum members, I also followed that with a stocking filter to catch smaller crud that might slip through the Gano screen.

The problem I have is the stocking toe is poked into the radiator tank through the upper radiator hose connection and the open end is folded-back over the upper pipe.  The hose is slipped over the stocking/pipe and about 3/8" ~ 1/2" of stocking sticks out past the end of the hose.  Despite tightening the clamp as much as I dare, coolant is slowly wicking-out along the stocking and dribbling down the hose to the thermostat housing.  It's not a big leak, but it is a nuisance.

I'm guessing that I may have to re-do the connection to keep all of the stocking under the hose.  I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done this before...  Thanks!

image.png.d1baf94fea074114d10cf77d2a46c821.png

What is a gano filter? I never heard of one.

That's right; I chose the aluminum body since the upper hose on my '38 is very short and I figured I probably wouldn't have much exposed to 'see' anyway, so I opted for a stronger body so I could clamp it securely.  As you can see from the pictures of my engine above, the entire filter is within the hose.  I actually cut the aluminum 1/2" shorter to make sure I had room to slip it in between the two pieces of upper hose.

• Like 2