brakes

dlcoop

wanting to flush and bleed my brakes.  Been sitting 9 yrs.  Noticed that the bleed screw is non existant.  I presume they are original.  Anyone know what size of standard bleed screw to use to replace them or do I need new wheel cylinders.   Also what size bore???   I see where some parts suppliers say it may be 1 1/16  versus 1"  .  Thx much.

^———. That’s the safest bet and worth the investment on a single line system IMHO.  Smart to get all the old fluid out if it’s been sitting 9 years that - it’s an open vented system as you probably know and has absorbed moisture which will eventually pit the original cylinders and compromise the seals.  Consider opening up the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders for a visual.  If you don’t have a way to pressure bleed or pull a vacuum to get the fluid out, put a block of wood or something under the pedal to avoid full stroking the master cylinder.  It minimizes the probability of compromising the master cylinder seals by avoiding movement past any roughness/debris that may be in the unused section of the cylinder.  Mine was sleeved with stainless steel over 25 years ago and have no regrets - no more pitting on bottom of the cylinder.  Make sure your e-brake works too.  

Personally, I like to be sure with the brakes on these things.  If it’s been sitting recommend going through the whole smash. It’s pretty straightforward if standard brakes.  

No fun doing fast math in your head on what was spent on new chrome vs if you’ll slow down quick enough to avoid tapping a wall or another car.  Been there. Good luck with the project

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2