What the heck is this and where does it go?

I thought I took pictures of everything, but I missed taking photos of the chrome plated anti-rattle rollers shown in my post. My car has been disassembled for 20 years and I can't remember where in the garnish molding area they go. I know the anti-rattle roller in the inner door frame is correct. As I understand it there seems to be a late 39 model change where a new anti-rattle roller is used and that continues through 40-41.

Also dose anybody have a suggestion for replacing the sponge rubber roller in this assembly. The sponge roller is 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch in diameter.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Leif

Thanks Ben, do you think my chrome sponge rollers were installed to replace the original anti-rattle rollers? It makes sense the rubber on the originals was shot and replacements were installed.

Thanks

Leif

Hi, Leif. First off, congratulations on mastering photo posting here on the forum. I knew you had it in you!

Second, I agree with Ben that the plated anti-rattle mechanisms seem like aftermarket pieces.  I can't say I've ever seen plated, large diameter, spring-loaded roller holders on our vintage (late 1930's) BUICK's before. So, a couple of questions, can you find four empty screw holes on the tops of your door structure, where these possibly aftermarket anti-rattle rollers were previously mounted? And, is there any evidence of mounting holes for two of those original BUICK anti-rattle rollers, as pictured at the bottom of your first photo? John

7 hours ago, buick looks fine for 39 said:

Thanks Ben, do you think my chrome sponge rollers were installed to replace the original anti-rattle rollers? It makes sense the rubber on the originals was shot and replacements were installed.

Thanks

Leif

The single ones are what I remember.  Those rollers look original. They are spring loaded.  I have never seen one like the bottom 0ne.

Ben

Thanks Guys, I looked for holes on my door frame which aligned with the chrome plated spring-loaded roller assembly and nothing matched. If these are aftermarket replacements it could be they were installed in 1 of the 2 original holes used for factory anti-rattle rollers and I forgot that detail.

Thanks

Leif

In a nutshell these are aftermarket replacements. I finally found a photo showing how the chrome plated anti-rollers were mounted. They were mounted underneath the garnish molding on the interior side of the door frame. They were mounted using one of the 2 factory holes on the door frame top. I looked closely at the face of the replacements with a magnifying glass and noticed what appeared to be a patent number and Rochester NY.... definitely not an oem Gm product.

If anybody has 2 original anti-roller assemblies, I'd like to buy them. One is pictured in my original post. They don't need to be pretty just solid enough to use.

Thanks

Leif

Edited by buick looks fine for 39
sloppy proof reading (see edit history)