14 inch Vintage Snow Tires

1964 Impala

Just wondering if there are any other options for vintage style 14 inch besides the STA Super Traxion tires shown below. Possibly like the Goodyear Suburbanite or the Firestone Town and Country. It would also be great to have them be studdable. Need a set for my 1964 Impala as it's getting more difficult to get it around during the winter with all of the snow and ice here in Ohio.

Thanks,

TR

sta-super-traxion-fig-a-b-9.5-16.5-n1405138-1__33021.1643881200.jpg.6b23d67da32d3ab4f10d5c5bda0fb538.jpgThe STA Super Traxion

s-l400.jpg.da993fdef6b8f3ff4e792bdea58267f5.jpgs-l400.jpg.7a6f8848efb7a4245d85868e93c96371.jpg

When I was in high school I worked at a local Goodyear tire store, located just south of Chicago, several months on Saturdays before winter I was elected to install studs in snow tires for the winter, with air operated gun to install them, that made for a long Saturday at work.

• Like 1

Why are you driving a '64 Impala in the snow? Don't they put salt or chemicals on the roads there? Aren't you concerned about the increased accident potential on icy roads?

I drive an old beater with a heater in the winter (tires with studs on all four corners). Saves a lot of stress and worry.

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NailheadBob said:

When I was in high school I worked at a local Goodyear tire store, located just south of Chicago, several months on Saturdays before winter I was elected to install studs in snow tires for the winter, with air operated gun to install them, that made for a long Saturday at work.

Gas station I worked at in HS had the air gun and boxes of studs to install.  Everyone waited until the first snow storm to want studded tires and have them installed ASAP.

• Like 1

I have to agree about regular winter use of a car that old, if that is what the OP is intending. If the Impala is decrepit beyond hope then maybe all season radials would be a better and cheaper solution. If you truly need studs to get through your winter weather, then a decent running 20 year old SUV or 4wd could be an option.

12 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Are studs even allowable? 

I thought they were banned years ago because of the damage to the road.  Maybe some states still allow them, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

PA-November 1st until April 15th is legal. 

I should explain that I’m only 16 and have driven the Impala to every day of school this year, without a hitch. I must say it handles the snow and ice very nicely. This is only temporary until I can afford another car for the winter, I’m thinking maybe another 1950’s/60’s car. I also pressure wash underneath the car every weekend to keep things fairly clean. In the mean time I just need some more traction and I wanted a vintage looking snow tire like the ones grandpa used on the car when he drove it in the winter. Below is a photo of the car before I restored it with snow tires on it along with a photo of my car in the high school parking lot.

F580D5DF-B25E-455A-9B6D-224E80065E2E.jpeg.c85f3abb1aa0d6d37ba3e59359807c96.jpegB258E93C-EB53-4C1D-AC30-6BC33BAFADAD.jpeg.857f711b492bec4895f38e8c5d3f2a2e.jpeg

Thanks,

TR

• Like 5

First, congrats on having the coolest car in the high school parking lot!👍

But I would try to find a beater Honda or other such replaceable mess and not subject your Impala to rigors of winter.

Good work flushing the undercarriage weekly. Also run plenty of water down through the cowl vent grilles which help flush out the rocker panels. What's your location, so we can get an idea of how bad they salt the roads?

Big 14" tires are tough to find. Worst to worst, get a spare pair of 15" wheels and mount snow tires on those for winter use. 15" may be a little easier to find.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 1964 Impala said:

I should explain that I’m only 16 and have driven the Impala to every day of school this year, without a hitch. I must say it handles the snow and ice very nicely. This is only temporary until I can afford another car for the winter, I’m thinking maybe another 1950’s/60’s car. I also pressure wash underneath the car every weekend to keep things fairly clean. In the mean time I just need some more traction and I wanted a vintage looking snow tire like the ones grandpa used on the car when he drove it in the winter. Below is a photo of the car before I restored it with snow tires on it along with a photo of my car in the high school parking lot.

Thanks,

TR

Welcome!

I drove a 1961 falcon year round in Michigan for a number of years. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, I did visit the car wash often! The falcon was no beauty queen but was solid and provided reliable transportation. 

I'll be reverting back to another old car for winter use this coming year or next. The one change I will make going forward will be undercoating. I use Fluid Film these days on my cars and it keeps them clean underneath and slows rust that has started. My wife's 2011 honda crv is under coated every fall and drives around in the salt 5 days a week. By late spring the coating has worn off and is no longer needed anyway. The bottom of her car still looks new. I do the doors and body seems also, they also still look new. Application takes 45 minutes with a spray gun.

When I find myself a new solid 60's economy sedan i'll be coating it with Fluid Film and driving the salty wheels off it from November to April. 

I say go for it, drive it all winter if you want. I drove "old" cars for almost 50 years year round, many went on a 40 mile daily round trip back & forth to work. Every one was well over 25 years old, all of them had functional heaters, defrosters, wipers, lights etc., none of them had antique license plates and they all passed the annual PA state inspection. They were usually garaged, always properly maintained and I had very few serious breakdowns. These included a 63 Bel Air, A 50 Hudson, 51, 54, 58 & 64 Oldsmobiles, 52, 63 & 64 Buicks, 57, 60, & (3) different full sized 66 Pontiacs. I put well over 100K miles myself on several of them. None were clunkers, they were all quite presentable but they were cars that certainly weren't nice enough to be displayed on the showfield. And yes, I had some nicer "garage queens" at home that were only driven on nice days. After a while I couldn't find snow tires for winter anymore so I ran new radials with good tread on them. If there was a lot of snow on the ground, I would place a heavy iron bar in the trunk by each wheelwell for some extra traction. Worked for me. I know I am in the minority here but if you like driving your 64 Impala in the winter, then have at it. 

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the interest in my car. I’m just glad I’m not the only one who still drives their car during the winter. As for the engine and transmission setup it’s a 1972 Chevy 250 straight 6 with the original 3 speed on the tree. When my great grandpa ordered the Impala new he wasn’t a big spender. He wanted a 2dr hardtop but no other options, it even has a radio delete. The engine is a later model because my grandpa drove it back and forth to work everyday until 1991 and the original engine developed a rod knock. Not too bad for a car with 260,000 miles in the same family.
6340277B-2E9F-451C-9CE5-BE7008229EB5.jpeg.b403782545776ed5bf3e18db47f03fee.jpegMy great grandpa next to the car in 1971.8119C16C-330B-42F2-BBCD-BFB6A17C32E2.png.1cf6216f8aa68c6cc6006e7a3b434e16.png

Me next to the car, some things never change.7EB6527E-B88D-4792-B140-A43D6F484D78.png.8fdcf2c23d728a104af504426b38169c.pngThe car when I pulled it out of grandpa’s field.

FD982876-816D-474E-991F-A094C7733072.jpeg.77ad5c51168bb8ab27483344a1955857.jpegIn-line 6 power.

Thanks,

TR

DB5D262A-108F-4D47-812F-A064B4459AFE.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, 1964 Impala said:

He wanted a 2dr hardtop but no other options, it even has a radio delete.

Ha - I can appreciate his sentiment!  After my last post I did go back and notice the lack of a "V" emblem on the fender, so I'm not surprised to hear that it's a 6.  Having a 3-speed is a little more unusual; even most of the sixes seemed to be paired with a Powerglide.  Radio-delete is also pretty unusual (particularly with a 2-DR HT).  I'll bet you're glad that he didn't pass on the heater/defroster option!  ;)

Congratulations on driving a cool car.

I would suggest finding a pair of 15 inch wheels , but be sure they have a the correct 5-lug and 4-3/4 inch bolt circle, as were available for taxi and police Chevy models. Also found on some mid-1970s Pontiac mid-size models like Gran Prix, but not full size models.

This car is too nice to be used on salty roads.

• Like 1