63 Riviera Radio upgrade.

63 RIV MOE

You can add a rear seat speaker in the factory position. There is no good place for under dash speakers, I added freestanding speakers at the base of the kick panels so I didn't cut anything but they looked weird. I have no personal experience but there are companies that sell radios that fit into and look like stock in the dash but have all modern internals. They also sell underseat mounted speakers, possibly even wireless hookup these days. 

DSCF7165.JPG

• Like 1

Because of the heater and a/c controls, putting a speaker up front like in the 64 & 65 models is impossible.  To keep your dash looking original, you can have your original radio converted to a model that has all the modern amenities.  Turnswitch is one company that comes to mind.  They also offer factory replacement speakers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Because of the heater and a/c controls, putting a speaker up front like in the 64 & 65 models is impossible.  To keep your dash looking original, you can have your original radio converted to a model that has all the modern amenities.  Turnswitch is one company that comes to mind.  They also offer factory replacement speakers.

Not presently...the owner passed away and the business is in transition.

Tom

• Like 1

I bought a Redi-rad to use with my stock radio.  Two wires - power and ground - an antenna lead, and a -3mm pin Jack.  The antenna lead is a signal interrupter.  When you plug the jack into your phone or other device, the antenna lead interrupts the radio’s antenna signal and pics up the signal from your device.  The new signal comes out only as good as your radio.  In my 65 with a front and the option rear speaker, I cannot get stereo because the original radio is not stereo.  In my 1990 Riviera, the signal through the Redi-rad comes through in stereo and I can control balance  and fade because the original radio is set up that way.  I use my smart phone for SiriusXM and Pandora.  Makes cross-country driving bearable. 🙂

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Keep it simple. Get a 10 ohm replacement rear speaker. Take the radio out and put in aux then you play your MP3’s through the radio to your speaker. Have bass and treble boosted while you have the radio out.

A gent in NY does this work for very small amount of money. Precision Stereo Repair In Utica NY.
OR get small Bluetooth speakers (2) and put them on the back seat. Avoid punching holes in your car

and trying to design a sound system. Keep it simple. Placing speakers hither and yon in your car without knowledge of sound reinforcement could be a lot of work and money for not much gain. 

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

I recently had my '65 radio converted by Tayman Electrical LLC. I highly recommend the conversion, in fact it's one of the best improvements Ive made. I now have stereo, bluetooth,USB & HD radio, all from my original Delco unit. GaryTayman is also familiar w 1st gen Rivs & can offer solutions to the speaker placement problems. Only downside, it isn't cheap. upside is I have a $20. off coupon I'll send you should you decide to go that route. Not much but better 'n nothin'.  Drew

Instead of putting speaker under the dash ( it is tight under the dash) just use the a new replacement  speaker with same specs as original speaker.

Ill include a pic of where I put the connection for the plug from my iPhone. Sounds good. The speaker connection and my gauges are in the ash tray. I took the ash tray out and put in a panel I could mount my gauges and plug. The ashtray lid fold down and hides the stuff that is not stock.

Turbinator

7EC25849-8137-4E9D-947F-8712EBA8A0FF.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, my first riv said:

I went with classic autosound with mine, it's not an exact replica of the stock riv radio but looks like a classic style radio with modern internals.

Your new autosound radio I’m sure puts out a better sound than my refurbished original. Actually, I seldom listen to radio programs. I play Mp 3’s through aux input on my radio and replacement original speaker. Works for me.

Turbinator

I replaced my cracked 1963 Dashpad with a perfect colour matching '64 Dashpad that has the larger grill for a speaker. However, the 63's HVAC Controls are in the way. So with corrugate poly-board, I installed an audio excitor and it fits! Cell-phone quality audio. Front and rear speakers now.

DSC03888.JPG

• Like 2