Early Stutz Engine Numbers

PMac

Hi,

Apologies if this topic has been covered already but I am new to Stutz cars. Question.... for a 1919-1920 Speedway 4 with an engine "as fitted by the factory", should the engine number match the "Car Number" on the dashboard plaque precisely? Alternatively, were they not matched by the factory and one would expect the two numbers to be in a reasonable range of each other.

Thank you.

Peter

• Like 1

The platform you are asking about is very rare, and there are not too many experts. I recommend joining the Stutz club. Also buying the book The Splendid Stutz. The club has technical help and a roster of known cars......which you can gleen information from.

Thanks "edinmass". I will certainly join the Stutz Club and look for the book.

Keith, can you advise where the chassis stamp would be found on the speedway 4? So, should all three numbers match up (chassis, engine and dashboard plaque)? I know that some manufacturers pulled assembled engines from a store during the assembly process such that the engine numbers don't precisely match the car numbers but are in a reasonable range of each other e.g. +/- 150. 

Thanks again,

Peter

• 1 year later...

I don't know about 1922 Stutzes but Series AA & BB Stutzes never have matching engine and serial numbers for several reasons. Reasons include that the 145" chassis has a serial number starting with a "7" instead of "8" but all of the engines started with "8" so that 8xxxx engines were being used up faster than 8xxxx serial numbers. Also, I am pretty sure that there was no attempt by the factory to match the engines with the cars coming down the line. Very early and all original cars #AA-5-80133 has engine 80135, AA-S8-70405 has engine #85427,  AA-6-84510 has engine#84812, and AA-D5-86438 has engine #87141 and so on. Earlier years may follow a similar pattern as my 1925 Stutz #14500 has engine #14851.

Edited by pughs (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...