A New '63 Has arrived

CaliRivin

Hey ya'll,

My name is Jeremy and I recently purchased a '63 Riviera back in mid January. I was told it ran and moved, but other than that the owner was sure it had no wiring throughout, the tranny didn't go into gear usually, and it was mostly a project or parts car.20220206_092052.jpg.6840e91239da6a6d3f51c0ce8dfc994b.jpg

Well, happy to say that after changing out what looked like original oil it was so black, putting some dex III in the old two speed, bleeding break lines and making sure fuel was clean and flowing...she runs like a champ and shows why the Riviera is still the best American car ever made.

I added some pics in the "post pics" thread, but I thought I should make it official and let the world know my girl and I are here. I'll add pics here too.

Thanks ahead of time for all and any help. I joined the ROA the day I bought my Rivee and have had so much help already. So thanks for being as cool as the Rivee for that yall.

Jeremy

California

'63 Riviera

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Great find! Better put down that phone & pick up a wrench. You got some serious work to do! Step one: peel off that aftermarket door guard trim.

Had my buddy tell me the same thing..."Oh, Dude, what a sweet car. I mean besides that aftermarket bullshit trim somebody put on. Take that off there." Hahaha 

My eagle eye tells me that taking off the body side molding isn't going to be as easy as heating it up with a hair dryer and pulling it off. I think that is a side molding that has an aluminum channel pop riveted to the sheet metal and a vinyl strip is inserted into the channel. Let me know if I'm (hopefully) wrong.  

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

My eagle eye tells me that taking off the body side molding isn't going to be as easy as heating it up with a hair dryer and pulling it off. I think that is a side molding that has an aluminum channel pop riveted to the sheet metal and a vinyl strip is inserted into the channel. Let me know if I'm (hopefully) wrong.  

You are right again man (sadly this time lol). It is definitely riveted in a few spots holding it down. I'm gonna wait and have my body guy do it when I drop it for work here soon.

Crap!  too bad about the body side molding.  Maybe see if you can get a color-matched spray can made up and at least prime & paint them body color so that they'll blend-in until you are ready to go for the bodywork.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kreed said:

Let the “fun” begin !😀. It will truly be a learning experience for you . Good luck and keep us updated . Take lots of pictures as you disassemble and bag and label everything- throw NOTHING away at this point.
KReed

ROA 14549

100% fun all the time, no matter how taxing it may be at times. And you know Not A Thing will be disposed of. Everything I take off will be hand me downs to future Rivee owners needs for sure...bagged and tagged.

Can't wait to see her grow and for yall to be apart of it.

Thanks for the warm welcome too from all 

Jeremy

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Crap!  too bad about the body side molding.  Maybe see if you can get a color-matched spray can made up and at least prime & paint them body color so that they'll blend-in until you are ready to go for the bodywork.

Or at least find a red insert for the channel.  

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Or at least find a red insert for the channel.  

Yeah, my paint plans are to hit it with a candy midnight purple, so I'm most likely gonna remove them all together.

I got a 75 super beetle and some cash im trading for complete body and paint work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed said:

Let the “fun” begin !😀. It will truly be a learning experience for you . Good luck and keep us updated . Take lots of pictures as you disassemble and bag and label everything- throw NOTHING away at this point.
KReed

ROA 14549

Your local Dollar General or The Dollar Store sells zip-loc style storage bags cheap.  Get a bunch, along with a stack of 3x5 index cards and a couple of black magic markers.  Don't trust your mind to remember everything.  Take a bunch of pictures as well; even better if you can print the pictures and put into the storage bags with the parts.  Parts - screws, washers, everything no matter how grungy or dirty.  Replace it when you go to reassemble it.  A few BIG stackable plastic storage bins are good as well.  

• Like 2

Just now, 63Rivee said:

Yeah, my paint plans are to hit it with a candy midnight purple, so I'm most likely gonna remove them all together.

I got a 75 super beetle and some cash im trading for complete body and paint work.

In case you haven't run across it yet, the door skins on your Riviera can be unbolted and taken off.  Easy to do body work and work on the windows.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

In case you haven't run across it yet, the door skins on your Riviera can be unbolted and taken off.  Easy to do body work and work on the windows.  

Yeah, I noticed how they bolted off from the inside. I'm gonna get in there and clean up the gunk and grime, hook some power to them and test the motors out. It's all there. Just time as you know

59 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Welcome, that is a dam nice "parts car"! Do you have all the missing interior pieces?

Thanks! I'm pretty sure a majority of it is there. In the trunk was two boxes that looked to be all kinds of goodies. For sure i have the glove box with the light and key lock attached. The center console switches and other parts for it. I have to look through it all and take pics for ya and myself though so I know. I'll get those together.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I think that engine will clean up nice chrome and all. Already looks good on the outside. Great find!

Yeah, I think she's gonna be just fine. Checked the block and the engine code stuff and it's the original 401 still. So I'm stoked to get her purty for her 60th next year :)