37 Studebaker Grounds in 6 volt system

Hi guys,

I am finishing up the wiring on my 37 Dictator.  I retained the positive ground 6 volt system.  I did run a redundant ground wire from the dash to the frame to ground the gauges and heater fan motor.  However, my fender lights and headlights are dim.  I don’t really want to run a redundant wire but I’m wondering how they originally got grounded?  Just through the mounting bolts?  I also realized I didn’t clean or replace the engine ground strap.  Would this help me at all with the lights?  I’m thinking of carefully loosening all the fender bolts and cleaning to bare metal.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

nate

You are probably on the right track.  To verify the problem either run a jumper wire from one of the light mounting studs to the positive battery terminal and see if your lights get bright OR put a voltmeter between the + terminal and the mounting stud (or any other clean metal on the light).  The voltmeter reading will tell you how much voltage you are "losing" due to bad grounds.  You can do the same thing between the engine and the battery to make sure it is grounded well too.  Don't forget it might not be the fender bolts too.  It is possible the whole body (or at least the front clip) is not grounded well to the frame.   An extra ground strap there is cheap insurance. Take out a fender bolt near the frame, clean everything, and attach the strap.  My Jeep had a couple gremlins that a body ground strap cleared up.  

Edited by nvonada (see edit history)
  • Like 1