Summer trip to Hickory Corners

a griffin

My wife and I are planning on flying up to Michigan this summer for a marque anniversary at Hickory Corners. As this is my first time in this part of the country, I would like some suggestions on dos/donts and must sees.

When I mentioned the plan to my wife, she immediately said she wanted to go to Detroit for the Piquette museum. I'm lucky in that she has the same interests as me.

Here's my questions....

Should we fly into Detroit and use that as a start/stop point for this trip, or would you recommend another area to start off from? Kalamazoo or Lansing? Maybe Fort Wayne?

Any points of interest you would definitely recommend?

Anything to definitely stay away from?

depends on your interests, but just to throw some stuff out there:

Detroit airport is by far the largest for choices.  Grand Rapids, Flint, Lansing sometimes have deals. 

In the summer, the lakeshores would be popular visits.  I think the Lake Michigan shore is nicer than Lake Huron.  Sleeping Bear Dunes is worth a trip.

Detroit Institute of the Arts.  Motown Records.  Meadowbrook.

The Gilmore  might be combined with the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN or the ACD Museum in Auburn, IN.

The Upper Peninsula is a lot farther away than you probably think - I think it's outside the scope.

• Like 2

Beyond the Gilmore,

If you have the time, drive to Mackinac City via Traverse City and Petoskey, and drive the "Tunnel of Trees along the Lake Michigan shoreline - and take the boat to Mackinac Island for a nice day trip. Drive the "Big Mac" Mackinac Bridge and go to the UP and Sault Ste. Marie, a longer drive, but worth it in my opinion.

If heading south toward Ft Wayne, then visit the Auburn, Indiana museums

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Sthals Auto Museum needs to be add to your list. 

Absolutely, Stahls is excellent.  , Packard Proving Grounds can be interesting and inside one building is an outstanding collection of original Packard motor car data plates removed from parts cars etc. they list the type of Packard and also the dealer who sold it new and the date.

58 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Beyond the Gilmore,

If you have the time, drive to Mackinac City via Traverse City and Petoskey, and drive the "Tunnel of Trees along the Lake Michigan shoreline - and take the boat to Mackinac Island for a nice day trip. Drive the "Big Mac" Mackinac Bridge and go to the UP and Sault Ste. Marie, a longer drive, but worth it in my opinion.

If heading south toward Ft Wayne, then visit the Auburn, Indiana museums

Traverse City is a mixed bag - the traffic clogs badly in the summer.  The Tunnel of Trees on 24, Leland, the Lelenaw peninsula(winery stop?), the dunes, Charlevoix (the troll houses), Petoskey, then Mackinaw City/Fort Michilimackinac.  How much of Northern Michigan you do depends on the time you have.  This is the west coast on Lake Michigan instead of the thumb on Lake Huron.  Basically follow rte 31 north

• Like 1

Do you have a date that you plan on coming to Mich?  There are a lot of car related activities to see.

Besides the museums and places mentioned above, there is the

Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in June

The Sloan Summer Fair in Flint

Woodward Dream Cruise in August

Back to the Bricks in Flint in August

Eyes on Design show at the Edsel & Elanor Ford mansion in Grosse Point

A number of events every month at The Gilmore besides the museum.  Look at their website.

And a lot more

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you are here in Sept, I would definitely go to the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village.  It is the best antique car show.  It is limited to vehicles 1932 and older.  There is usually more than 700 entrants to the event.  It is the only time that private vehicles are allowed to drive around the village.  Saturday is the best day to come, but it is a great weekend. 

It is the first weekend after Labor Day.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Do you have a date that you plan on coming to Mich?  There are a lot of car related activities to see.

Besides the museums and places mentioned above, there is the

Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in June

The Sloan Summer Fair in Flint

Woodward Dream Cruise in August

Back to the Bricks in Flint in August

Eyes on Design show at the Edsel & Elanor Ford mansion in Grosse Point

A number of events every month at The Gilmore besides the museum.  Look at their website.

And a lot more

Looks like August 6-13, 2022 will be when I'm in town. Lincoln's 100 year anniversary meet will be at the Gilmore

Been a long time since I’ve been in Detroit but we use to go to a place called “Jim’s Garage” great bar not so good for cars. The top of the Fountain Hotel (not post it I’ve of name) near the big expo center had great jazz bands on Friday nights in the summer. 
All the previously mentioned museums are well worth seeing.  As far as flights Detroit will offer you the most options, Chicago O’Hara is good and you can see the downtown lake/park area. The Art Institute and Field Museum are right at Grant park. A river architecture tour is really neat takes of at the Chicago river & Michigan Ave right downtown. Time is a factor for any of these advertisers but if it is the only time you are hitting the Midwest try to do as much as possible. Have fun. 
dave s