'57 Dodge Custom Royal how many ever built

• 9 years later...

Is there a difference between a 1957 Custom Royal and a Custom Royal Lancer ? There is a car on Ebay and he says it's a rare 2 door Custom Royal with a 326 engine. I can't find any info on a 2 door Custom Royal let alone a 326 engine.

Maybe this is what he has. The D500 package is very desirable and rare. The one on Ebay does not look to be a D500. There were a total of 55,149 Custom Royals built in 1957 which includes all body styles other than the station wagons.

post-37352-14314175584_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141755851_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

That's the car. What is included in the D500 package that this car doesn't have?

Taken from "CarDomainBlog...

The 1957-1959 Dodge D-500 was a continuation of Dodge’s high-performance package in the late 1950s, with a choice of conventional carburetor or fuel injection. Top horsepower of these vehicles ranged from 333-345, usually with two four-barrel carbs, but in 1958 the top 333-bhp rating came via fuel injection, which was quickly withdrawn because it proved so troublesome. By 1959, Chrysler dropped the famous (or infamous as might be said) Hemi Head engines in favor of a “Wedge Head”, but still producd ground pounding horsepower. These cars were extremely fast, and could be quite colorful, too, but some feel they’re less distinctive than the 1956 D-500. They’re also comparatively scarcer, however.

post-37352-14314175586_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
What about a'54 Custom Royal 2 door? Anybody have any info on them?

Called the "Royal", there were 8,900 of them built as 2 door club coupes. No "Custom Royal" that year.

Guest fireeater304
Called the "Royal", there were 8,900 of them built as 2 door club coupes. No "Custom Royal" that year.

I have a Dodge Custom Royal that I inherited from grandfather which he purchased in'55 new. All of our original paperwork says'54 model. I'm confused now..... how can I search serial numbers on it?

Sorry.....didn't mean to hijack original post..

Does the car have a "Custom" nameplate on it or just a "Royal" nameplate? The car in your avatar is a 1954. The 1955 was the first year for the "Custom Royal". "Meadowbrook", "Coronet" and "Royal" were the 1954 model names. In 1955 they had the "Coronet", "Royal" and "Custom Royal" models.

Wasn't Lancer the name Dodge gave to its hardtops - like Buick used Riviera?

Not exactly. There were Custom Royal Lancer hardtops AND convertibles starting in 1955.