Reatta prices

Barney Eaton

Was checking car auction prices and found 2 Reattas that sold at Scottsdale. 

1991 blue/blue coupe with 2647 miles.......says it sold for $33,000  hard to believe

1991 red/tan convertible with 16,000 miles.....sold for $15,400

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

There have been other posts related to auction sold prices. Not necessarily Reatta but most comments are similar. 

Unless we could speak to the buyer of that Reatta we will never know “why”. Perhaps it’s a museum.  

About 4-5 years ago, I spoke with two Reatta buyers. One purchased a white/burgundy '90 vert for $8,800 (asking price was $10,495). The other purchased a '90 white/tan coupe for $5,500 (asking price was $6,995). Neither car needed anything and were in great shape inside and out. Both were purchased from eBay.

I don't put much weight behind Mecum or B-J sales figures.  That's the 1% of the 1% that live in their own universe.  For a true purchase price, need to speak to the buyers.  Meanwhile, if you see a car you like, no harm in making an offer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You have to also remember at an auction you will have people working for clients seeking certain cars with certain criteria. So if the customer says his budget is $50,000 and I find the perfect car that matches all his specifications. I can guarantee the last thing I would want to do is let that perfect car slip away and have to search for another one. And it just takes another person or collector interested in the car to get the price running. 

There's a '90 Select Sixty convertible for sale in the March Buick Bugle magazine...85.5K miles and priced at $9,900.  Now that's a more realistic Reatta price IMO.  

• 4 weeks later...

Have to remember that auctions are different. Underpowered is never mentioned but bright and shiny is particularly to a well lubricated skybox. Also what the bidding assistants do would be considered assault in many states. Peer pressure is maximised. These are professional salesmen.

Finally having seen how museums neglect exhibits would expect a "museum piece" to be a bargain. Only good thing is Florida law requires the gas tank to be drained if kept indoors.

Just my opinion.

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Have to remember that auctions are different. Underpowered is never mentioned but bright and shiny is particularly to a well lubricated skybox. Also what the bidding assistants do would be considered assault in many states. Peer pressure is maximised. These are professional salesmen.

Finally having seen how museums neglect exhibits would expect a "museum piece" to be a bargain. Only good thing is Florida law requires the gas tank to be drained if kept indoors.

Just my opinion.

From all the auctions i have been to the lower priced car buyers don't get the same kind of beating and enthusiastic treatment as those of the higher priced and specialty cars.  A museum is only going to pay top dollar for cars that will attract people to buy tickets to come in and see.  History has repeated itself enough times in the last several years where we see people stepping up and paying big money for the right Reatta's that we know for fact that they can bring the money. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:31 AM, Barney Eaton said:

Was checking car auction prices and found 2 Reattas that sold at Scottsdale. 

1991 blue/blue coupe with 2647 miles.......says it sold for $33,000  hard to believe

1991 red/tan convertible with 16,000 miles.....sold for $15,400

The 1991 convertible price seems right, or close.  1991 Reattas are rare, and becoming rarer.   For a low mileage 1991 I would not say, generally, that anything below $20,000 is crazy.  

It’s what determines low mileage.  Now it’s probably 30,000 miles or less.  There seems to be a fair amount of Reattas in that 50,000 to 100,000 mile range that are advertised as low mileage and prices are what Bushwack notes.  $5,000 to $8500.  Can be well purchased.  

Then there are the 100,000 mile plus drivers.  Buy to enjoy I guess.