55 Pwr antenna

2carb40

IMG_20220216_172449.jpg.9ce91dc8cd1ee8f5e7ed236a135dbf52.jpgJust acquired a couple power antennas, well I have one and ones paid for and incoming. I had a couple previously, but decided it would be too much to restore them. I decided to take another run at it and disassembled one tonight. Very interesting component. Posting some photos and observations gleaned from carefully inspection. This shows how the spiraled tube that holds the plastic 'cord attaches to bottom of motor case. When I removed the tube I was surprised to find it took a bit to remove it becuz the plastic was still intact and attached firmly to the mast bottom end. Posting some additional photos in hopes someone else is helped by more visuals!IMG_20220216_172412.jpg.eb63020fabc661c34c5bc67b79504518.jpgunfortunately it's no longer serviceable, as it has hardened to the point of being almost impossible to bend very much and had some hardened sharp curves that will no longer allow it to fit in the space enuff to slide thru. I was able to get it out without breaking, so now I have a good profile as an example of what I need to look for. I'm gonna try to photo the profile of the shape soon. Interesting the factory figured out what to use that's flexible enuff to curl into the spiral tube and strong enuff to push the antenna up with out buckling or twisting. The shape profile is a modified rectangle. It is designed to resist twisting, which I think might happen if profile were round or square. Hopefully something I find will have long range seviceability. Next to test the motor gear drive assembly. It looks almost new inside. Total length measured 53.5" after I pinned that plastic? Cord down to the bench. The connection is a sleeve with the plastic held by a series of crimps. The sleeve connection to top mast is allowed to swivel with a 'mini-ball & socket' joint. The top trim of the mast has a 9/32" hex holding it on and must be removed to seperate top mast. IMG_20220216_185352.jpg.7eaaa87b45f61c8015da9ff5ebb19c9f.jpgIMG_20220216_185242.jpg.c529a75272ede2297e100a98c000763d.jpgIMG_20220216_172522.jpg.9ca1bb3162ca5f5f72f216012a745a1d.jpgIMG_20220216_174814.jpg.40f1272ed22c622c3726d944a0d0207a.jpg IMG_20220216_170203.jpg.f3af9f12a81e4e7897cff26a3d88d230.jpg

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I replaced the nylon cord on the power antenna of my '64 GP using some weed-whacker cutting line that was the right diameter that I found on-line and purchased for about $10.  I have enough left over to fix it again at least 20 more times...  ;)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

How did u attach the plastic line to the swivel?

Years ago I bought a mast and flat ribbon from a (now defunct) vendor that worked well until it got wet and locked up tight.  I attached the ribbon to my old mast after melting the old plastic out of the swivel end and carefully shaped the 'new' ribbon to fit the socket and added heat to melt it in place.  String trimmer line could be tested for function before attaching to the mast.

My power antenna mast, at the top, was broken off when I got the car. The motor still works and I have been searching for a replacement mast with no success. I did run across this as a possible replacement, although it's not an original. Ran across a couple of originals on EBay, but man, they were pricey: $400-$700. The style/shape of this one looks similar to the original. But, if I can find a replacement mast, I'd rather fix my original. Just keeping my options open. I'll contact the rebuilders old-tank indicated and see if they have/will sell me just the mast!   

image.png.2c2cfc735ea6928e903fd6754a379102.png 

I have some random parts for this design....the 6v version is a smaller version of the motor assembly. 

Before attempting to attach the cord to the mast,  test running it thru the rollers.   Round weed whacker line may work fine, especially since there

is a spring loaded wheel.    Common weed whacker line comes in .105 and .130  the later versions of GM power antenna use .120 dia plastic line. 

Harder to find is 3mm weed whacker line which is .118  try different sizes for performance. 

Try and get your mast as straight as possible,  that reduces the drag and force the motor needs to raise and lower the mast.  

Willie gave you one secret.... after removing the old line,  heat the round end and push the new plastic in place,  it might take a couple of tries

to get it straight which is important.   you want the plastic to be soft enough to flow around the dimples and lock in place. 

The other possibility is to use steel cable with a plastic coating...... it is listed as 1/8 inch the steel cable part is 3/32 and can be soldered to the end of the mast

I have been using the steel cable on the later units for about 10 years.     

If you want to experiment,  I can send you some .108, .130, 3mm and some steel cable.......... if you pay the shipping,  just let me know  

antcord.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton
add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would try to find a suitable brass collar to crimp the pieces together.  Maybe spend a few minutes at the hardware store going through those drawers of nuts. bolts and misc. doodads.  Also look in the plumbing department...

• Thanks 1

steve.... from my experience,  the part on the mast and the tube on the plastic were made as one piece, yours has seperated. 

If I were repairing it, (1) remove the part on the plastic by heating it.  (2) attach (solder or braze) the tube removed from the plastic line to the mast.   you then may need to grind and sand the weld it so it will fit into the mating mast part.  (3) heat the tube and install the plastic line,  it will melt in place and when it cools will be stuck in the tube.

If you need to replace the section of tube that is on the plastic line.... try a hobby shop,  Hobby Lobby usually carries sections of small brass tubing.   I also have ramdon pieces of small tubing that I will give you if you pay the postage. 

They should go as first class mail in a envelope so maybe $1.50 would cover postage

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 3:12 PM, Barney Eaton said:

steve.... from my experience,  the part on the mast and the tube on the plastic were made as one piece, yours has seperated. 

If I were repairing it, (1) remove the part on the plastic by heating it.  (2) attach (solder or braze) the tube removed from the plastic line to the mast.   you then may need to grind and sand the weld it so it will fit into the mating mast part.  (3) heat the tube and install the plastic line,  it will melt in place and when it cools will be stuck in the tube.

If you need to replace the section of tube that is on the plastic line.... try a hobby shop,  Hobby Lobby usually carries sections of small brass tubing.   I also have ramdon pieces of small tubing that I will give you if you pay the postage. 

They should go as first class mail in a envelope so maybe $1.50 would cover postage

Thanks for the tip Barney, yes it would be great to get a few pieces of the small tubing. I will send you an email.

Thank You

Steve