Winton Six

pmhowe

When I was 16, I walked to a local car show in Princeton, Mass. At the show there was a 1915 (as I remember) Winton Six seven passenger tourer. It was a magnificent car and I fell in love with it. I have never seen another one since. However, there is now a 1917 model for sale in Hemmings. I have attached a picture of it and some other pictures I pulled off the web.

While I was thoroughly impressed with it at the time, I’m not sure how it would rate in terms of quality with, say, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Cadillac and others.I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Phil

1917 Winton 6.png

1915 Winton 6.png

• Like 1

A great car. If you are ok being outside Horseless Carriage Club dating, it’s is probably a wonderful choice.

I have never heard anyone say “I hate my Winton.” And in turn I have seen early models on a National tour, that were driven not trailered from 10 states away.

Winton’s are simply great. They are in the league of Pierce, Loco, and others. A Cadillac V-8 doesn’t compare.  I would own one in a heartbeat. And as a matter of fact......I was casually interested in a Winton before I got sidetracked with my White fetish.

To quote a world class collector with hundreds of fantastic cars.......who cares about the date.......the clubs are falling off.......and the tours take cool cars. A post 1915 Winton IS a cool car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Winton did not produce the numbers of cars like Pierce Arrow or Locomobile. They didn't develop the mystique of a Stutz. But they were very well built and for their time had a loyal following. There are a number of them hidden around in collections, and a few people I have met over the years seem to like driving them a lot.

There was a collector in Northern California a couple decades ago that had a very nice 1917 touring car he drove quite a often (his was brown). I managed to see him going down the road in it few times. His caretaker told me it was one of the most reliable cars in the collection!

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Winton’s are simply great. They are in the league of Pierce, Loco, and others. A Cadillac V-8 doesn’t compare.  I would own one in a heartbeat. And as a matter of fact......I was casually interested in a Winton before I got sidetracked with my White fetish.

To quote a world class collector with hundreds of fantastic cars.......who cares about the date.......the clubs are falling off.......and the tours take cool cars. A post 1915 Winton IS a cool car.

I fully agree with Ed here. The dates only matter if you want them to.

That being said, this seems like a hell of a car. Buy it! Then drive the wheels off.

Edited by DGPoff
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I never understood why Winton’s bring Model A money. They are absolutely fantastic. The three I have driven were “heavy” but not a dump truck. Fast as hell. Last one I worked on had the air starter system. It had sat for fifty years. We made some new water jacket covers for it. The entire engine and transmission were gummed up from old oil. We disassembled everything and reassembled it. Ran great.......It’s now in Europe, as the collector who owned it thought it was a bargin. 

• Like 3

If you are looking for a Winton, I know of a 1910 that I believe is for sale.  It has been well sorted out and not a lot of years ago driven from the Detroit area to Yellowstone and back.  It is toured regularly.

PM me if you are interested and I will pass on your information.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a friend that I'm guessing has the most complete collection of Winton automobiles of anyone. From 1899 to his all original 7000 miles 1914 7 passenger touring.

We drove that 1914 from Lewiston Idaho to the north part of Washington state, and I will say after owning and driving brass cars for over 60 years, the Winton was the nicest smoothest driving brass era I've driven. 

Lots of power, quiet easy to steer and stopped with ease. We scooted up and over the Cascade mountains with ease. Winton designed and built a very sophisticated. For my money you could not get a better car for the money. 

brasscarguy

2 hours ago, brasscarguy2 said:

I have a friend that I'm guessing has the most complete collection of Winton automobiles of anyone. From 1899 to his all original 7000 miles 1914 7 passenger touring.

We drove that 1914 from Lewiston Idaho to the north part of Washington state, and I will say after owning and driving brass cars for over 60 years, the Winton was the nicest smoothest driving brass era I've driven. 

Lots of power, quiet easy to steer and stopped with ease. We scooted up and over the Cascade mountains with ease. Winton designed and built a very sophisticated. For my money you could not get a better car for the money. 

brasscarguy

I know that dude!

It’s too bad we all don’t have enough, time, money, and garage space for the cars we would like to cross paths with. For better or worse.......I seem to be in a White Motor Car rut...........it has happened several times in my life. Some new thing gets my attention.......and my obsessive compulsive disorder turns on full tilt. So far it has served me well, as what has caught my interest have been vehicles that are great drivers. If a car doesn’t have the potential to be a good driver.........I just look past them. I have never seen a Winton that wasn’t way above average for its year. Towards the end they started falling behind.........but they were always excellent machines. 

• Like 2

The green and cream 1916 Winton in the 1967 photo was owned by a gentleman named Herb Watts who lived in Atlanta, GA.  The photo is a bit fuzzy but I think that is Herb dressed in white with the straw hat.  He was a fixture in the Atlanta old car community for years and owned and restored many different cars over the years.  Herb always drove his cars and I have no doubt the Winton was driven from Atlanta to Gatlinburg.  The car was eventually sold to another gentleman in Atlanta and it was toured with the local Atlanta AACA for years.  The car later when to Great Britain.  Last I heard it was back in the states but I haven't confirmed it and haven't seen the car in many years. 

I rode in the car when I was a young man and it was always a favorite of mine.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Alan 

• Like 4