Wondering the price 1917 DB frame

I'm in the process of completing a 1917 Dodge Brothers frame all matching numbers with original starter/generator, water pump and Delco distributor (with extra parts) all rebuilt by Romar DB Parts and Service, frame, axles and springs all newly painted. I'm in the process of getting it ready to sell a screen side body fits on top. I've had people price me all over and was interested in other prices to come up with a fair price to sell. I'm selling this vehicle and 1919 Dodge Brothers Touring selling both together not breaking up. I should have all parts together and pictures end of February.  If a person would like more information, please call Jim  803-203-1529

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Dodge Brothers cars are not a commodity and so there is no price or price range. A fair price is what you would like for it if it could match with someone who wanted / needed it and had the money.

The reality is the cost of restoration in parts and hours is extensive and usually much more than the car will fetch.
An unfinished project is usually priced a great deal lower than a complete car running.

Dodge Brothers enthusiasts are not as numerous as Model T Ford nor are the parts as readily available so it is an exclusive club.

I wish you luck but honestly the price will be what someone is prepared to pay.

• Like 1

I agree with you, I live in South Carolina, this is Ford Country. I've had two back operations and now having problems in just the simple things. My dream was to complete the Dodges, but as you know time has a way of changing things. The price that seems fair is $12,000 for both and all extra parts, a barn find for a 1919 complete DB Touring (this one I'm second owner) is around $5,000 and this one has the engine, transmission and rear end gone through. The 1917 DB Screen Side is a different story, I know the history to 1920 and very little has been done to it. The question is why does a original 1917 DB frame have a screen side body on it with touring dash, frame is June 1917 and with no records, I don't think this will ever be answered, with its problems they were corrected by time production first came out in October 1917, and some of the change (the seat distance to steering column) noted in adds. I have spent time and money to restore the frame back to original (matching number original) so this vehicle will be talked about on both sides, original or not. This vehicle price $7,000, I feel the frame is between $2000 and $4000 not only is the block redone but starter/generator, water pump, Delco distributor (extra parts also) new bearings in transmission and rear end. I'm down to one shed to clean out, it's interesting what a person can collect as the years go by even the passenger floor ID tag for the 1917 used as a bookmark. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Jim

first, I want to say sorry to hear about your back issues, I wish you the best as I'm sure we can all relate to the labor of love that you've put forth over the years. I recall your efforts and my hat is off to you thinking about how you have researched and tried to find answers while saving the screen side. It's not for the faint of heart (least of all a Ford guy), but you need to do what's best for you now. 

Both may end up going close to your asking prices based on your description, but unfortunately, most buyers will be looking to haggle and divide the two. I do understand why you want to keep as one and hope they do go to one person for a quick sale.

I know I'm not the only one to think this, but if I had the funds and the space, I'd be giving you a call because I know your price targets are reasonable based on the work already completed. I know that's no consolation, but all of us in the DB/GB community are wishing you the best. In the meantime, once you post photos, we can all help put the word out, it's the least we can do.

Take care of yourself and good luck with the sale. 

Dave

• Like 1

If you have the paperwork in your name on any of the cars, that would help in the long run. While yes, a buyer could finagle the paperwork, most do not have the ways and means to do so. If you do have it, say so in the ad. Remember that you are not just listing in your local, it is nationwide. While your state may be easy, not all others are.

Guessing, you are just testing the waters. When you do write an ad up, don't use the title like you have on this one. I was thinking you had questions on what a frame is worth. In this day an age of people taking their phone number with them, you need to put at least your general location in the ad. Personally, I think you may be shooting yourself in the foot trying to sell both cars for one money. You could start out that way, but you might be prepared to split them up. Not everyone has room for a few cars and part, but might have room for one.

The more correct term might be chassis, which would include the running gear, not frame.

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

Your right I should said complete chassis. Both titles are clear Oregon Titles. I have a box about 1 ft tall with 40 years of Dodge Brothers information even a picture of the 1919 DB Touring 1 hour after they brough it home. Some of the history you'll find in Dodge Brothers Club News, March-April 2021 page-10,  Dodge Brothers Work a Family Farm. This was a dream put in my head by a man named Gill Belcher. I moved both vehicles in 1996 to Charlotte N.C. to complete that dream in 2016 I started having back problem, since 2016 I've had 2 major back operations. This will be a onetime sale I would like a museum to buy them. I will always think the 1917 DB Screen Side could be a protype of the first business car DB built no records to prove it. To many small items on this vehicle for a person just to make a business car, the first 3 years are the unknown years. I forgot I now live in Rock Hill, S.C. about 35 minutes south of Charlotte N.C. I was born in Portland sad city to see this last summer.