Concours correct Fog Lamps

Tucker6077

According to judging rules, only Trippe or Pilot Ray lights would be acceptable.

"Trippe and Pilot Ray driving lights are accepted on classic cars and certain pre-WWII production vehicles"

Thus, by omission, any generic or other brand lights would NOT be acceptable.

I'm no expert, just doing some research.  

On 2/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Tucker6077 said:

Does anyone know which fog lights would be judging acceptable for a 1936 Cadillac?

I'm not aware of any Trippe or Pilot Ray fog lights, so I think the answer to your question is any fog light that can be documented as a 1936 Cadillac authorized accessory would be acceptable.  If you have these fog lights on your car, be sure to carry the factory documentation with you to each National you enter.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The lights I have on the front of my 1930 Packard are factory authorized accessories and in the Packard Factory issued accessory catalog for 1930 . Most people never heard of them! Saf - de- Lite. I have for many years collected accessory brochures from both side of the pond, American and European ( factory and non factory issued - ie Nil Melior Company in NY City) Interest is in what was offered by who and why, so far as quality , who manufactured them etc. I have most of the Packard accessory catalogs issued from WWI to WWII , one for Franklin cars of the 1930-31 era , some Buick, Chrysler - all pre WWII. I use it for my research to relate an accurate image of the era and that way the dealers could gain extra $ with accessories added and also how popular they were/weren't with the car buying public. I did a story for Hemming's Classic Car on Nil Melior a while ago.

Accessories were very important so far as "image" goes for the customer , heck Nil Melior had its store in the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NY City for a while .

• Like 1

As shown here most collectors think of Pilot Ray lamps and Trippe lights, this is what Packard Motor Car Co. had as the proper factory approved/suggested lamp in 1930 .

I had found a pair and restored them and installed them BUT use them as directional signals - rewired to do so, because CURRENT DRIVERS DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAND SIGNALS MEAN!

saf de lite advertisement.jpg

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure you can get away with installing Trippe Lights on a 1930s car, even though I doubt there is factory documentation that most Trippe Lights mounted today are the kind in the accessory catalog.

Personally, I am not a fan of the way the extra lights look on the front of a car... and, based on a LOT of cars I see today (that once had them, but now don't), I'm not alone. Really clutters up the front end.