1955 Roadmaster Side Window & Wing Glass

buickbrothers

Hello All,

I'm replacing all the glass in my 55 Roadmaster, with exception to the back glass. I've seen different vendor packages for all the side window and wing glass that can be ordered. I have two questions for the team members. 1) Any recommendations on which vendor to use and/or avoid due to glass quality/size/fit between vendors? 2) Does anyone know what the correct "thickness" of glass setting tape to purchase/use? Thanks members!  

I too use a local shop for all of my flat glass needs. Unfortunately local glass shops are fewer and farther between. Many have closed their doors. If you are able to utilize a shop in your area I would recommend doing so. They may be less costly than an out of state vendor and you could help save a small business.

22 hours ago, buickbrothers said:

Hello All,

I'm replacing all the glass in my 55 Roadmaster, with exception to the back glass. I've seen different vendor packages for all the side window and wing glass that can be ordered. I have two questions for the team members. 1) Any recommendations on which vendor to use and/or avoid due to glass quality/size/fit between vendors? 2) Does anyone know what the correct "thickness" of glass setting tape to purchase/use? Thanks members!  

I bought my 57 glass from Auto City Classics and it was perfect.  The glass tape thickness will vary, partly by wheter or bot you rechrome your frames.  I believe I used 1/8 for nearly all of my pieces.

Thanks for the responses. Auto City Classics is one of the vendors I'm looking at for the flat glass. I am planning to use a local shop for the front windshield and back glass install. They are pricey enough for just these two items which is why I'm doing the flat glass. I have to do what I can myself to keep the cost in check on this project. I didn't have to re-chrome the frames, but did re-chrome bumpers, lights, portals, etc. You know, all those blistered chrome pieces! I'll take some measurements of the thickness of the old glass and confirm the new glass thickness and measure the frame thickness to gauge the glass setting tape thickness needed. 1/8 sounds about right - just needed a sanity check from someone who did this. Thanks.  

• Like 2

I also highly recommend Auto City Classic. I ordered 4 vent window replacement glass pieces with original E-Z Eye tint with correct date code etched for my '51 Super. Their turnaround was incredible. 2 days later I received them. No supply chain issues with them !

Dry fitting them appears exact  as far I can tell. Haven't set them permanently yet. I plan to use their rubber tape with foamy Windex as "lubricator."

Prices were very reasonable too. 

• Like 1