Carbide Generator drip rate

redbaron1930

Hello;

I am in the process of trying to get the carbide generator on my 1910 EMF working, I'm not sure what make it is as it has no markings on it (it's not an E&J). The water valve was frozen but I was able to get it apart and clean up the seat so that it seems to work. My question is does anyone know what the drip rate should be on these generators I imagine it is pretty consistent between makes? I just want to make sure it is not way off, right now it goes from completely off to about 2 drips per second.

Thanks

Andy

The E&J acetylene generator on my 1912 Flanders drips one drop every 5 seconds or so.  I haven't lit my headlights yet, so I don't know how they will respond to that drip rate.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I do not have any experience with these systems, but I do have experience with drip acetylene generators used in agricultural bird guns. These systems are nothing but simple. I would start with a slow rate, something like i drip every 2 seconds.  Let it drip for 10 seconds and then light the headlights. See how they work and watch the flame closely with the lens closed. It should be bright and clear. Now try slowing the drip a little and increase the drip slightly. Watch the results. Try it again at night and adjust for best light operation. You want a clean flame or you will soot the reflectors. Bottom line, go for it and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I tried lighting the headlights on my 1912 Flanders last night, the one drip every five seconds is too slow to generate enough gas.  I had to open the generator and actually pour some water in, and even then I could only get one lamp lit.  I need to do some troubleshooting.  :(

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9281.JPG

Cudaman;

Thanks for the update, I had to take the water valve out and apart on mine (it wasn't easy getting it out) and clean off all the green crud on the brass valve parts. i also polished the seat and stem. It drips anywhere from 1/2 to 2 drips per second. I'll see how that works soon.

Second update - Today I found that the lamp that wouldn't light had a blockage in the brass elbow in the bottom of the light, easily cleaned out with  a drill bit.

The water valve on the side of my acetylene generator was partially blocked by a gummy lubricant, so I cleaned that out as well.  Hopefully that will increase the water drip rate.

The carbide chunks I bought were small enough to fall through the basket, so I bought a stainless steel sink strainer with a finer mesh that will fit inside the stock basket and keep the carbide chunks from falling through.

The next attempt should go much better.  :)