Running poorly no current codes…

talipp

My 90 vert is running poorly.  No current codes using diagnostic?  Feels like it’s not getting gas and struggles to start.   I’m going to chk the fuel filter but I think I should be getting some error code or clue as to what to fix???

Fuel or the lack of it won't set a code. Neither will failures in the ignition module and coil pack. If you suspect fuel, the first thing is to put a gauge on the fuel rail and find out what the actual pressure is. Is the check engine light on or are there any history codes in diagnostics?

• Like 1

One simple preventive measure is to disassemble the entire bracket for the coil packs, and clean each connecting surface from corrosion, to ensure a good ground. Especially if your car was ever in a high humidity and/ or a rock salt environment. 

• Like 1

By and large, they should have little to no effect on the running of the engine, especially if they are all history. Something else is going on that doesn't set an ECM code. The advice above with simple and zero dollar investigation is a good place to start.

• Like 2

I had a '90 Bonneville that was a 'no-start' when hot.  Ultimately discovered that the crank sensor was at fault.  Found that spraying the sensor with cold water from a garden hose allowed it to start.  Once warm again it would fail; more cold water and it would start.

Is your problem temperature sensitive?  If so, try warming or cooling the crank sensor.  Those were notorious for failing in that era...

On 2/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, talipp said:

Feels like it’s not getting gas and struggles to start.

My Reatta started doing that at the end of last year. Quick test of the fuel pressure revealed the fuel pressure was too low. Engine would still run but it was hard to start and wouldn't accelerate like it should. I replaced the fuel filter but no help. Replaced the old fuel pump with a new Delphi fuel pump and now it starts right up and runs great.

• Like 3