1941 Cadillac oil pressure

Swear57

Not being a Cadillac person is there any other place to tap into the engine to check the oil pressure other then back by the dist. It's a flat head 8. It shows no oil pressure & the lifters are noisy. The car has been sitting for years. The oil is clean. Any suggestions. Thanks for any advice.

I seem to remember a pipe plug on the LF side of the block, or perhaps on the front of the block on the left side.  One important thing to do is to clean out the two "fishhook" oil lines (under the manifolds, which have to be removed).  The feed is in the center and there is a restrictor somewhere, because pressure to lifters is supposed to be approx 7-8 psi.  I used to soak the fishhook oil lines in lacquer thinner or acetone for a few days, then run a pipe cleaner, or plastic-coated wire through them, followed by shop air.

• Like 2

Put a oil pressure pot on it...........and crank it over with the distributor disconnected............it will wipe itself out if it’s not building pressure.......the cam gear will fail in just a few minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Put a oil pressure pot on it...........and crank it over with the distributor disconnected............it will wipe itself out if it’s not building pressure.......the cam gear will fail in just a few minutes.

Ah yes, the distributor drive gear that meshes with the cam?  When I had my 1939 Cad years ago, I was able to find two NOS ones.  Repros were made and I heard that they didn't hold up well

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I undid the oil pressure line at the dist, pulled the coil wire, put a rage over the hole & cranked the engine over. I had oil. hooked it up still nothing on the gauge. Undid the line again & pulled the line off the back of gauge. Shot carb cleaner then air. Hooked all back up I now have 30psi. I now wounder how much junk is in the oil. Got it good and hot & draining it now. I think I'm going to send it in to have analyze.

Let it drain overnight. 

I would run it with 5 or 0 weight again, and let it drain overnight again. It will also give an indication of your bearings when hot with very thin oil. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2