Difficulty with conversion of automatic I-8

Rusty Heaps

I know that the rear of the crankshaft is different between the automatic transmission and manual transmission inline eight engines. What is involved in making the one from an automatic mate up to a manual transmission? You have to wonder what they were thinking. It had to be more costly to produce two different cranks. And the you would have to produce the same amount of the correct transmissions. Anyway, I have located an automatic transmission engine but I want to retain the manual transmission with the project car I am putting together. 

Try Team Buick. I believe that has been discussed on there.  My understanding is that an adapter exist , or can be made, for the pilot bearing. Then either the crank flange OR the flywheel has to be re drilled. 

Depending on year and engine, perhaps change the crank. That is what I did.

Ben

16 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Try Team Buick. I believe that has been discussed on there.  My understanding is that an adapter exist , or can be made, for the pilot bearing. Then either the crank flange OR the flywheel has to be re drilled. 

Depending on year and engine, perhaps change the crank. That is what I did.

Ben

I would have to have a crank to change to. No engine yet, but it seems that there are more available for the automatic transmission. I’m looking for one of the last of the 263s. I hope to keep the car a manual shift vehicle because no one expects a fine Buick of the ‘50s to be a 3speed. 

• Like 1