List of vin numbers for DeSotos

sirlucky

15 minutes ago, sirlucky said:

How do I find this for DeSoto's ??? This 83 year old guy is having trouble doing it !! Thanks for your help.

Just type your serial number/VIN into the field in the box at the top right and click on the "lookup/decode" button.

• Like 1

There is an OLD salvage yard near me, which has several cars from 20's & 30's. According to some of my dad's friends, one old sedan is a 1930 DeSoto eight. But all badges, etc, are long gone. Where would the serial number be located on that car? Next time I'm in that yard, I would enjoy searching for it, if not buried too deep in the mud. The engine is still there too, I believe. 

• Like 1

I don't know where you live but if it were within a hundred miles of here I would be doing everything I could to save that car. I've owned a 30 DeSoto for several years and I've never even looked for the serial number so I can't help you. When new the engine serial number should match the vehicle number. If I remember correctly that's located on the drivers side of the engine near the front of the block just under the head. Problem is a lot of these old cars have had the engines swapped over the years. The engine number should start with CF. 

If you need a picture let me know. It's below Zero out so it might be Saturday before I get to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lump said:

There is an OLD salvage yard near me, which has several cars from 20's & 30's. According to some of my dad's friends, one old sedan is a 1930 DeSoto eight. But all badges, etc, are long gone. Where would the serial number be located on that car? Next time I'm in that yard, I would enjoy searching for it, if not buried too deep in the mud. The engine is still there too, I believe. 

Look on the driver's side of the frame just behind the front of the rear leaf spring connection. It will look similar to this....

Picture 28522.jpg

• Like 4

You should be able to right click each image and a menu will open up. There will be an option to “Save Image As”. Select that option and you can pick the place you want to save it to and you can name the image too. To help stay organized you can create a folder on your desktop and place all of your references and pictures in it. I take no credit for the images, I did a forum search and found them very quickly using a few keywords.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, richasco said:

You should be able to right click each image and a menu will open up. There will be an option to “Save Image As”. Select that option and you can pick the place you want to save it to and you can name the image too. To help stay organized you can create a folder on your desktop and place all of your references and pictures in it. I take no credit for the images, I did a forum search and found them very quickly using a few keywords.

Or send me a private message with your email and I will send it to you.
John

• Like 1

Interesting tags and I have no idea what they signify.

But I will hazard a guess on one: I believe that in that era most (all?) Chrysler product cars came with Willard batteries so maybe the tag that says Willard was giving the battery size in some old sizing system.

• Like 2

The above body tag is hard to read, **** body corporation Grand Rapids Michigan will be the company who supplied the body to Chrysler for that Desoto, I'm guessing the 91 will be the body design or type and 3661 will be the number of that body supplied, so the 3661' st body of that design made by the company.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, Fossil said:

I don't know where you live but if it were within a hundred miles of here I would be doing everything I could to save that car. I've owned a 30 DeSoto for several years and I've never even looked for the serial number so I can't help you. When new the engine serial number should match the vehicle number. If I remember correctly that's located on the drivers side of the engine near the front of the block just under the head. Problem is a lot of these old cars have had the engines swapped over the years. The engine number should start with CF. 

If you need a picture let me know. It's below Zero out so it might be Saturday before I get to it. 

Fossil, I live in Ohio, kind of in the middle between Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati...in the "boondocks." My dad's buddy first mentioned that car to my dad sometime in the 1970's (Dad was killed in 1978). The car had been outside a LONG time even then. It sits in a totally overgrown grove of trees, on ground that is often damp. You can imagine the rust... I'll try to get back there sometime before the mosquitoes hatch in 2022, and see if there is any chance that I can find any numbers anywhere. I ASSUME that there may be some durable parts still save-able, but otherwise I think it would have a hard time serving as anything but yard art. There are LOTS of really cool old cars in that condition in that yard. Yet every now and again I'll find some much-needed part there. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.

It's a shame when these old cars get left to the elements. Mine is no show queen but I enjoy it and hopefully the things I've done to it will help preserve it for the next owner. It's a shame that the rising cost of restoring these vehicles has put bringing them back to their original state out of reach for so many owners. 

• Like 2