ISO: 1932 Dodge Brothers DK-8 Exhaust Manifold

Kblake

I'm looking for any that would have an exhaust manifold for a 1932 Dodge Brothers DK-8. Mine was cracked in five spots so I replaced it with another one I found last winter and now that one is also cracked as well. I'm looking for someone to furnace weld it but figured I start my search for a replacement manifold incase I'm told it is non-repairable. 

I believe the part would be 1932 Dodge Brothers DK-8 specific w/ no cross brand matches. 

Thanks, Kyle

1297085707_ExhaustManifold.jpg.906d0425316ae439ce481592c09652c7.jpg

Although I have a 32 DL six and can’t help, I would investigate the reason your manifolds are cracking.  Are they bolted on unevenly or is the block surface not true?  Something isn’t right somewhere.  I’d hate to have you find another one and have that crack, too.  Best of luck in your search.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Although I have a 32 DL six and can’t help, I would investigate the reason your manifolds are cracking.  Are they bolted on unevenly or is the block surface not true?  Something isn’t right somewhere.  I’d hate to have you find another one and have that crack, too.  Best of luck in your search.

I'm going to rebuild my distributor and carburetor as a first attempt. Where I live I have to travel on an interstate for one exit up hill in either direction to get home and I would notice at night the manifold would be cherry red. Which points to ignition or carb running lean. So that where I am starting. I had the previous manifold setup planed but I didn't check the block, but will do when it comes off this time. Thanks for the encouragement Taylormade!

KB

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Also if manifolds are breaking, their motion is probably restricted, or there is some sort preload on the manifold due to warpage or both. Get the surface flat. If it isn't flat, get it milled. Don't try to take up warp with gasket thickness.

The manifold grows in length when it gets hot. Try the fit on the block against the studs or bolts. It can touch them cold a little, but only in one direction. Nothing must restrict the motion of the manifold as it gets longer. On an old manifold that has been warped, remachined, etc. it may be necessary to grind a little clearance in some places. You do NOT want the manifold pushing out against studs when it gains length. I am not familiar with what hardware Dodge Brothers used for attachment, but many makes used belleville (cupped) washers under the bolts. What you absolutely don't want is some soft washers that can bend, squish down and make a ridge that stops the manifold from moving. You also don't want any sort of a gasket that cannot slide. Good luck, and I hope you find a usable manifold.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)