1940 super transmission cluster gear assembly

Justinlb

48 minutes ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Those "pins" are actually needle bearings for the gear. The best way I have found to hold them in place is with a very heavy grease. The last needle will need to be slipped in and will help hold the others to the outer edge. It can help to cool/freeze the grease and geat first to keep the grease stiff.

Thank you, I didn't think of that.

Another question, is it safe to re-use bearings? The bearing on the input shaft looks flawless and has no issues. Or should I just order a new one?

A couple items you may need.  Small parts kit, needle bearings/thrust washers.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/114658755859    Countershaft, if worn where needle bearing run.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/383856538303    Would also be wise to replace the bearing on the input shaft, and rear main shaft, and a new throw-out bearing, while you`re there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Those "pins" are actually needle bearings for the gear. The best way I have found to hold them in place is with a very heavy grease. The last needle will need to be slipped in and will help hold the others to the outer edge. It can help to cool/freeze the grease and geat first to keep the grease stiff.

This was the method I used on a '46 Jeep trans. Worked great.

I took the gear box out of my '41 and rebuilt it with a lot of help from my friends.  If you check my thread here, I think you will find a lot of helpful information, including several videos.  Just click on the arrow in the upper right-hand corner to get started in the right place.

• Thanks 1

The other way to deal with pesky needle bearings is to get a piece of shaft the same size as the one in the transmission but make it the length of the cluster gear. Then assemble the bearings and the dummy shaft into the cluster gear where you can se what you are doing. set the assembly in the case, then push the dummy shaft out with the proper one. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oldtech said:

The other way to deal with pesky needle bearings is to get a piece of shaft the same size as the one in the transmission but make it the length of the cluster gear. Then assemble the bearings and the dummy shaft into the cluster gear where you can se what you are doing. set the assembly in the case, then push the dummy shaft out with the proper one. 

That's what we did, and it's shown in one of the videos that I mentioned above.

• Like 1