"Them!"

rocketraider

Once again, on a cold dreary day waiting for a snowstorm🤬, I find myself watching TCM. "Them!" (1954) is showing and there's plenty of neat old cars to drool over. 

The early 50s Ford products are easy to ID but there are a few 30s and 40s cars that don't get enough close-ups to tell what they are. I think one is a late-30s Buick trunk sedan and another a late-30s Studebaker coupe. Plenty of what are probably WW2 surplus Jeeps and flamethrowers too.

And of course a pre-Gunsmoke James Arness, a pre-Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone Fess Parker, and a pre-Star Trek Leonard Nimoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Once again, on a cold dreary day waiting for a snowstorm🤬, I find myself watching TCM. "Them!" (1954) is showing and there's plenty of neat old cars to drool over. 

The early 50s Ford products are easy to ID but there are a few 30s and 40s cars that don't get enough close-ups to tell what they are. I think one is a late-30s Buick trunk sedan and another a late-30s Studebaker coupe. Plenty of what are probably WW2 surplus Jeeps and flamethrowers too.

And of course a pre-Gunsmoke James Arness, a pre-Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone Fess Parker, and a pre-Star Trek Leonard Nimoy!

And don't forget James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn (Kris Kringle in Miracle on 34th Street), Dick York (of Bewitched fame), Dub Taylor (in pretty much every western made late-30s - 90s) and several other character actors who had long careers in TV and movies.

A few THEM! cars are identified here: https://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=47573

Like a lot of young kids, I was interested in bugs, especially ants.  When the movie was first in theaters, I convinced my grandmother to take me to see it.  It turned out not to be the ant documentary I thought.  I still enjoyed it but didn't think it was that scary.

• Like 3

There were a bunch of good old campy sci-fi movies that I liked to watch on the afternoon sci-fi theater tv show after school. I have tried finding some of them on tape or DVD over the years, and mostly found really bad movies I never ever saw before. A few of the ones I remember from long ago I have found and enjoy seeing again. "Them!" will always be the giant ants to me, and although not one of my favorites, I did enjoy seeing it again a few years ago on one of the classic channels.

There were a number of really good moderately large budget sci-fi movies in the 1950s. Certainly "War of the Worlds" is near the top of that list. It has been way too long since I saw "Forbidden Planet" and I really would like to see it again when I have time to sit down and enjoy it. But I think a lot of the best ones were imaginative low budget films.

I have bought a few DVD sci-fi and Horror anthologies. Most were quite disappointing with too many total turkeys and only a couple I actually had ever seen before.

Which leads to a question for others here that remember some of these old odd films. One I used to like to see, and I saw it several times on the afternoon Sci-fi theater show, but I have not been able to find any mention of anywhere. Not on IMDb, not through google. Sometimes, films will be syndicated onto television using an alternate title. Maybe that happened here. The title I recall was "Moon Children". The story was about a small but powerful alien creature that seeks refuge in a cave outside a small town. The town's children discover the creature and at first try to destroy it. Then as adults and military find out about the creature and begin attempts to destroy it, the children step in and protect the creature as it grows and prepares to leave.

Anybody else remember that movie?

Svengoolie.....  is where I see a lot of these films recently. Best part is him explaining who the actors are and where we've seen them. Now we need to get him to explain the cars!😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, 8E45E said:

"THEM" is one of the mid-sixties British Invasion groups, with Van Morrison on vocals.

Craig

Gloria  great song covered by many bands, The Dead did a great cover and The Doors version was great

On 1/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Svengoolie.....  is where I see a lot of these films recently. Best part is him explaining who the actors are and where we've seen them. Now we need to get him to explain the cars!😆

I agree I find the history behind the films to be very interesting, along with the actors. 

• Like 2