New Tool Question

Turbinator

I purchased the Mini-Ductor Venom-HP,  # MDV-787 is pistol grip handle and works great, this is one of the best tools i purchased in a long time. I was sick and tired of wasting time to remove rusted and stubborn bolts, once you use this tool you will never be without one, they are pricey. If you have any questions let me know.

Bob

• Like 1

It works great, wouldn't be without it-yes its pricey,but it works- it & a 1/2 impact there's no stopping you--took the receiver hitch out from under my  neighbors  Motor coach--tookk longer to get the electric & air hose outside than  it did to take it off-----Tom

I bought the same venom tool and love it.  Shop ebay.  Prices are all over.  I believe mine was around $400 with some guys selling the same tool for almost twice as much. Trick is to get the right size coils on what you are heating.  Too big and you won't achieve the desired results.  Just right and you will be amazed.  Plus really reduces the risk of any kind of fire. I used mine to extract a broken off stud with just enough to get an extractor.  It was the very last stud on the exhaust manifold,  Almost right against the nicely painted firewall,  So no good way to heat it with a torch without a big pile of asbestos cloth and a prayer otherwise.  Also used it to heat up my ball and trunion U joint to press out the pin and install a new one.  

Being I didn't have torches to begin with,  it was a no brainer investment. 

I bought the big set of long coils as well to make sure i was covered. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Auburnseeker. Ive got a torch cart but I’m not experienced enough to use it the torch on the car. I’ve heard welding blankets do the trick. Tight spaces or fit that matter the induction heat is the way to go. Thank you taking the time to help me finish my decision to get the tool.

Appreciate your help.

Bob Burnopp 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Smartin said:

I bought one off Amazon...not impressed so far.  I would only use it in a pinch if I can't use a torch.

Did you buy the Venom one?   There are some cheap knock offs,  that are just that.  You also have to make sure you have the right wrap on the bolt.  I was trying to use a premade one that was slightly too big and it didn't do squat.  Couldn't get the stud to turn red,  it just got warm enough for the penetrating fluid to dry up.  Changed to a custom made coil,  as described in the directions and it turned red hot in 60 seconds.  Couldn't get the other to do that in the 120 second cycle,  so the size is crucial. 

23 hours ago, Smartin said:

I bought one off Amazon...not impressed so far.  I would only use it in a pinch if I can't use a torch.

I would also agree with auburnseeker,  I use the Venom one and it does a fantastic job.

• 10 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 12:24 PM, Smartin said:

I remove a lot of rusted studs on turbines. Heating the rusted studs via induction heat makes it easier to remove the studs. Every order I get for turbines seem to have the wrong studs so Ive got to change the studs. I think using a torch or induction heat is a personal preference. Although a torch will do some major league size loosening.

Turbinator

5 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I think it’s because the element diameter is too big.

I think you are one hundred percent. I bought a kit of elements and not one came to a point. Something like a soldering gun point. Leads me to believe soldering gun gets hot? Why not try a soldering gun with the amps turned up? What is it going to hurt?

Turbinator