1922 Buick 22-35 cylinder head

Jason Schmitt

Hello everyone, being in the automotive industry for the last 20 years I’ve recently come across a vehicle that may end up in my collection but will require significant repair or component replacement. The vehicle in question is a 1922 Buick 22-35  in seemingly unrestored condition and my concerns are repair to the top of the cylinder head. There’s a large fisher / crack around one of the rocker stands. Thoughts are appreciated. 

D008E611-2A29-4325-88A0-6F027232AFA9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you can locate another head that would be your easiest route. If you cannot the head will need to be removed, cleaned, welded with cast iron rod which requires heating the head in a furnace and then, re-machining it after it cools. Dandy Dave! 

Pining with tapered threaded cast iron pins should be considered.  I have used this process successfully.  Two manufactures and suppliers are Irontite and Lock-N-Stitch.  Tapered holes are drilled, then tapped with a tapered threaded tap, a sealer is applied, next tapered threaded ductile iron plugs are installed and tightened.  A drill guide may be used to allow each adjacent plug to be spaced so that the threads lock tightly together.  Finally the upper exposed portion of the plugs are ground down.  Grinding the repaired surface with pneumatic hand held tools should be adequate if a good straight edge is used carefully.  Yes, this process should strong enough to withstand the torque from the rocker arm shaft.

Brazing is another choice and is much stronger than some folks imagine.  With cast iron  heat distortion...warping is always a possibly.  Preheating and slow cooling is always recommended.