Chandler automobile

Dynaflash8

The car in question is a 1922. It is a 6 cylinder, and the owner says it's a good 40 mph car. Were the engines and drive trains pretty strong on these cars? What kind of clutch, a cone clutch? Two wheel or four wheel brakes? That's the basics I was wondering about.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Earl Beauchamp

These cars had two wheel brakes. The clutch is disc type. I have to do more research to see if they had the Traffic Transmission in 1922. this is the tranny they used until 1929. It works like a syncro box, no gear jamming! The engines were built by Chandler and were very reliable. Great cars. Too bad Hupp. never did anything with them in 1929 when they bought the company just to use the new factory. I've plenty of pictures of Chandler cars I can email you if you want more history.

We love ours and the club has been very supportive.

The "Traffic Transmission" was actually a constant mesh box which made clutchless upshifts and downshifts possible as the owner of a '25 Chandler used to demonstrate. The motor was very robust and powerful for a flathead, being known as the "Pikes Peak Motor" on account of a Chandler thus equipped climbing the mountain in record time.

Their only weak spot as told to me was the outside mounted oil pump which originally had soft gears {pot metal I was told by the owner} and were frequently replaced with more durable pumps as my friend's was.