1952 Lincoln power window dilemma

West Peterson

I've removed the power window motor from a 1952 Lincoln window mechanism (6-volt, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any difference in this situation... but... ????).

Anyway, the rubber coupler between the motor and the window gear is giving us problems. The motor D-shaped shaft spins inside the rubber coupler, even though the coupler itself looks like it's in perfect condition. The attached photos are representative of what I'm working on, as I didn't take photos of my pieces while I had it out.

I can't even figure out why such a coupler is made out of rubber. ?????

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.58.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.01.30 AM.png

It has been many years since I worked on the  electric windows, so I looked in my shop manuals and parts lists to see if there was a set screw and I did not find one.

I looked up the P/N BD 7323440 on rear counter and found that there is one available

https://www.rearcounter.com/BD7323440-parts1521886.html

You might also try Ford parts vendors to see if they have one. If you strike out, you could make a steel D shaped sleeve to fit on the shaft of the motor and then use a urethane casting product with a hardness rating of Shore A. to secure it to the inside of the coupling. Devcon flexane 90 used to be available at the local hardware store for a reasonable price, but a quick search shows it to be very expensive and hard to get now.